Summary

jackfromczech

Feb 13, 2002
In 2005, when Joey replaced John, the band and Bellathrax fans were full of expectations, metalheads visited their shows because they wanted to see the old line-up. Over time, the dream about becoming the old good Anthrax has gone up in smoke and the band seems to be at the same position as they used to be with Bush – they play the same small venues, when a festival, they’re not headliners, the successor of WCFYA (2003) they were able to release not until 2011, For All Kings is going to be release about 5 years after. The music style of Worship Music hopefully got closer to Bellathrax fans ideals about how Anthrax supposed to sound like. So my question is: where’s the fucking rub? Was the reunion really necessary…?

One more thing. Maybe I’m wrong but people here used to talk more about the Anthrax singer during 1993 – 2004 but now debates are more general. For me, John Bush has always been THE man. I used to be a fan since 1989 and when I learnt Joey was fired, my world collapsed. Really. But after hearing Only on radio, I was like WOOOW! When Joey was in the band, this “wow effect” was missing.

This is not another Bring Bush Back thread, I'd just like to know other fans oppinions.

For me the reunion was a blessing for me,was too young to see them on pot tour and never dreamt I would've had the chance to see them live,I know in Australia there much more popular with joey and I suspect this worldwide,anthrax were on there last legs before joey come back,no they are getting real tours and obviously the big four tours helped there last album launch,they never would have had a record release concert recorded with bush,I liked bush as well and first time I saw them live was stomp tour and it's still one of the best concerts I have ever seen but prob had a lot to do with waiting so long to see them,great live band with either singer but u can just feel the chemistry is there with joey,u can't fake that stuff

The reason for reunion in 2005 was money, they were in serious debt at that time and their management talked them into it. No one (except Charlie) wanted to do it and Scott describes it in his book as a fucking nightmare (I'll lend it to you when we see each other no problem). As far as 2009 goes, Joey was the last option for them since John refused to do the job, and they didn't want another singer.

Yoyo, when you quit being an Anthrax fan, you can see things that you were not able to see before or you just did not want to see. You are free to post any negative shit you want without being afraid that Charlie is going to punish you by sticking his drum stick deep in your ass after reading it because an obedient fan doesn't do that at all...
No guys, I'm not going to worship the ground the five guys walk or bash the band at every opportunity. I supported Anthrax 15 years and I was a hard core fan a long enough to have a right to say things I decided to say in my previous posts. I'm not a man who dares to judge Anthrax after hearing a few songs. I don't think I have posted here anything too offensive to other fans and if they're nevertheless offended then I say sorry but being a fan also means to be able to accept even unpleasant criticism from others. Fans who pretend they love everything the band says or does, they lie to themselves.

I'm not going to start "Charlie lacks of ideas club" or "I don't like Joey live performance club". I'm just going to be the one who ripples calm waters here a bit. But don't afraid, I'll be good. I like all Anthrax studio albums, but I'm not a fan anymore.

The reason for reunion in 2005 was money, they were in serious debt at that time and their management talked them into it. No one (except Charlie) wanted to do it and Scott describes it in his book as a fucking nightmare (I'll lend it to you when we see each other no problem). As far as 2009 goes, Joey was the last option for them since John refused to do the job, and they didn't want another singer.
Ok, the reunion was a necessity. But why do they play the same small venues as with Bush? I guess it's in music. I'm afraid the band is no more able to write an album which could amaze a wide mass of people as they did e.g. with ATL. Worship Music was good but not ground-breaking at all. Judging by "Evil Twins", FAK will be just another ordinary album with Joey Belladonna.

Ok, the reunion was a necessity. But why do they play the same small venues as with Bush? I guess it's in music. I'm afraid the band is no more able to write an album which could amaze a wide mass of people as they did e.g. with ATL. Worship Music was good but not ground-breaking at all. Judging by "Evil Twins", FAK will be just another ordinary album with Joey Belladonna.
They're not really playing smaller venues than they did back in the day when they headlined. They never headlined arenas on their own, it was always clubs/theaters. They never headlined festivals - they were always second or third-billed. It's not like their popularity has diminished, it just hasn't really increased.

The fact of the matter is - by the nature of their music, they'll never be arena tour or festival headline material. Thrash metal is incredibly niched, there just isn't demand for it on a massive scale. They're playing approximately the same size venues as Megadeth when they don't have a package tour, and venues slightly smaller than Slayer (The same size in some markets). I'd say they're doing just fine for themselves.

Reactions: timmyc
Check '' music of mass destruction '' and ''chile on hell ''....do you see the différence between the two venues,the two crowds ??
I see the band on stage for the first time in '95 with john, and the last time the last month with Joey.
And the both was great!

Last edited:
They're not really playing smaller venues than they did back in the day when they headlined. They never headlined arenas on their own, it was always clubs/theaters. They never headlined festivals - they were always second or third-billed. It's not like their popularity has diminished, it just hasn't really increased.

The fact of the matter is - by the nature of their music, they'll never be arena tour or festival headline material. Thrash metal is incredibly niched, there just isn't demand for it on a massive scale. They're playing approximately the same size venues as Megadeth when they don't have a package tour, and venues slightly smaller than Slayer (The same size in some markets). I'd say they're doing just fine for themselves.

Well...last time I saw Slayer in Prague, they played O2 Arena - a place that holds up 15 000 people. Last time I saw Anthrax in Prague - Lucerna Music Bar (approximately for 800 people). This was the smallest venue I ever saw Anthrax in. It was good and intense, for sure.

Reactions: timmyc
No interest for me to see anthrax in a stadium! I prefer the small venues!!
The principal thing is : "Anthrax is alive and in a good health, and they are able to made new music! Don't really care to know who's behind the mic!
Join the 3rd way! :headbang:

Check '' music of mass destruction '' and ''chile on hell ''....do you see the différence between the two venues,the two crowds ??
I see the band on stage for the first time in '95 with john, and the last time the last month with Joey.
And the both was great!
I’ve never seen Chile On Hell but I guess you tried to indicate that COH got a bigger crowd, right? Well, I’m not surprised because Anthrax fans outside the US have always been more enthusiastic. I don’t know how many shows Anthrax have had in Chile so far but I guess you can count them on the fingers of one hand, so it’s obvious that Chilean fans are fucking hungry for Anthrax. Therefore comparing Music Of Mass Destruction (that was filmed in the US) and Chile On Hell is rather misleading.

I'm too lazy to check all posters from past festivals but in 2004 I visited festival Benatska noc in Czech republic and Anthrax were the headliner, here is the proof: http://www.benatska.cz/historie/historie-2004/ . I was there, Johnnieczech as well. I remember Anthrax released a photo called "The Czech sea" from that show.

Just enjoy the band for what it is johnny,good to have discussions about it,keeps the ball rolling,I'm really thinking fak will blow the last album away,anthrax are on there game now

@ jackfromczech...As an ex-fan, it's your ex-problem, no ? Seriously, I think you surfer of a heartache, who makes you blind and say bullshit about your ex-love... Czech your heart.

I'm too lazy to check all posters from past festivals but in 2004 I visited festival Benatska noc in Czech republic and Anthrax were the headliner, here is the proof: http://www.benatska.cz/historie/historie-2004/ . I was there, Johnnieczech as well. I remember Anthrax released a photo called "The Czech sea" from that show.
Okay, so that's one minor festival. The point I was making was you're not going to see them headlining Wacken, Download, Rock In Rio, Sonisphere, Graspop, etc. - the big leagues of festivals. They never have, they never will.

No interest for me to see anthrax in a stadium! I prefer the small venues!!
The principal thing is : "Anthrax is alive and in a good health, and they are able to made new music! Don't really care to know who's behind the mic!
Join the 3rd way! :headbang:

I was only arguing the "same size with Slayer" - that might be true in the US, I don't know. But I know what I've seen :)

Well WM certainly out paced their last release in sales so there was definitely excitement with JB returning into the fold. So, no need to make excuses for not wanting to be a fan, which is your purgative.