Supergroups?

Horus

and his imaginary friend
Mar 4, 2005
Atlantis
Does anybody here know of any other supergroup projects than Tobias Sammet's Metal Opera and Arjen Luccasen's many projects? Im looking to get into supergroups, and I dont know where to start.

ptah knemu said:
Im looking to get into supergroups, and I dont know where to start.

The first supergroups were ELP (Keith Emerson, Greg Lake and Carl Palmer) and UK (John Wetton, Bill Bruford, Allan Holdsworth and Eddie Jobson).
Both are major influences of Romeo and Pinella. I recomend you all their discs.

CAB, Ring of Fire (Old), Explorers Club and ASIA also come to my mind.

Luis said:
I wouldnt call Avantasia as a supergroup. The project is based on playing standar power metal songs and the musicians involved in it are not that good.

Agreed ;) NOt bad, but definitely not super IMO...

wchuck said:
TRANSATLANTIC

That's it!

And i advise you to try: Ark - Burn The Sun... Hard to classify its genre, but Jorn Lande is on the vocals; and other instrumentalists are also fantastic. :worship:

Luis said:
Correction: It´s when VIRTUOSO musicians from various vabds come together to make one or more cds.

The 'virtuoso' part is a matter of opinion; I wouldn't say that's always a factor, myself.

Not about this topic but, the term virtuoso shouldn't be a matter of opinion i think. Because if it is, then everybody can easily be called a vituoso. I think the term vituoso should be used only for people who can play any sheet that is put in front of them. So musical reading and instument mastery are neccessary.

No offence :)