Supreme Court rejects death penalty for raping children

Will Bozarth

Everlasting Godstopper
Jan 26, 2002
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court has struck down a Louisiana law that allows the execution of people convicted of a raping a child.
ADVERTISEMENT

In a 5-4 vote, the court says the law allowing the death penalty to be imposed in cases of child rape violates the Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

"The death penalty is not a proportional punishment for the rape of a child," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in his majority opinion. His four liberal colleagues joined him, while the four more conservative justices dissented.

There has not been an execution in the United States for a crime that did not also involve the death of the victim in 44 years.

The Supreme Court on Wednesday also cut the $2.5 billion punitive damages award in the 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster to $500 million.

The court ruled that victims of the worst oil spill in U.S. history may collect punitive damages from Exxon Mobil Corp., but not as much as a federal appeals court determined.

Justice David Souter wrote for the court that punitive damages may not exceed what the company already paid to compensate victims for economic losses, about $500 million compensation.

Exxon asked the high court to reject the punitive damages judgment, saying it already has spent $3.4 billion in response to the accident that fouled 1,200 miles of Alaska coastline.

A jury decided Exxon should pay $5 billion in punitive damages. A federal appeals court cut that verdict in half.

fuck this country

I am a supporter of cruel and unusual punishment for cruel and unusual crimes, such as raping a child. If you rape a child, you should be raped and then ignited on fire

Pull 'm up in a tree by his balls, force a hot poke into his ass, wrap 'm up with barbwire and let 'm bleed to death.

No, they need to punished for being little homos and going to the authorities when they could be milking that shit and having better sex lives than most 25 year olds.

Honestly, I don't think we are cruel and unusual enough in our punishments.

If I ran the world, you would be soooo god damned afraid to commit a crime and go to jail you'd take your own life first. Because if you did go to a jail of mine, it would be like the most ruthless, hellish place on earth. Your sentence would be basically a death sentence. LOL

I was going to contribute seriously, but I see that would be departing from the threads new tone.

What a day at the office for the Supreme Court, by the way.

The death penalty is a bit excessive I think, but sterilization and life in prison definitely isn't!

edit; "definitely" is a word I can't typo and fix half of. I literally need to type the entire word out correctly in order to spell it right. I always screw up the second half and can't fix it without just starting over. Weird.