Surgical Disaster

‘Total Disbelief’

Aug. 11— After 67-year-old Hurshell Ralls went into surgery for bladder cancer, he came out of surgery missing more than he ever expected. His penis and testicles were gone.

"My wife had to hold my hand in the bed there. And she said 'Honey it's over. They got all the cancer.' And she waited a few minutes and then said 'But they had to remove your penis.' And I was one mad dude, you know," Ralls said on ABCNEWS' Good Morning America.

Ralls, a mechanic, says doctors never warned him or his wife that amputation of the penis and testicles might have been part of surgery before he went in for the procedure in November 1999. Ralls filed a negligence lawsuit against the Clinics of North Texas in Wichita Falls, and the doctors who operated on him. The civil case is set for trial Aug. 25.

"It was never even discussed. And I felt like he ought to have at least told us that this might be a possibility so that we could have talked it over even before he was admitted to the hospital," said Thelma Ralls, his wife. In a February deposition, Ralls' doctor said that he determined the cancer had spread to the penis while he was removing Ralls' bladder. Doctors did not send a tissue sample to the lab until after the surgery. A Dallas doctor who examined cell slides later found that Ralls did not have penile cancer.

my gf's mom went in last week to get a tumor removed from her lung, and they had said they'd possibly have to take part of the upper lobe of her lung. then the morning of the surgery they mentioned they might have to take up to the entire right lung. things like that really need to be mentioned earlier. it seemed to me like they didn't want them to back out of surgery, so they made it seem not so bad at first, and then sprung that on them at the last minute before they had time to back out.

they didn't have to take the whole lung; just the part of the lobe. but still, it's kinda crappy the way they told them.

but yeah, i agree his aim is probably shot and he should be sitting down anyway.
hell, every time my gf's nephew comes over you can tell he's been there because his aim is so terrible and never cleans up after himself.