Surprise! We're getting this mixed by someone else (band rant)

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
So I'm working with this local band. I've worked with them in the past and it's always been a great time, and their music is solid... so when they came to me to do their new EP, I was like hell yeah!

so we decided on 5 songs, and I would track/edit/mix/master. they had done a nice pre-pro themselves. I'm doing this for DIRT cheap, by the way.

when we started they said they weren't planning on releasing it until April, which is obviously pretty far away, so I was like cool. we can take our time on it, since I'm juggling like 4 other projects. but then last week they started talking about how they need to "finish ASAP" and I was a little confused but I figured, whatever, they probably are just excited and want to get it out ASAP. not a problem.

then last night we were figuring out our schedule for next week and I was like "I don't get it, what's the rush? I thought you guys weren't planning on getting this duped till april?" and they say "yeah but for mixing he needs to have it by such and such a date..."

obviously I was taken aback. they didn't even have the decency to inform me about it? ok, whatever, I'm over it. but what sucks about this situation is that I've worked really hard on this project. This is my pet project, the music is good, the players are talented. It's my best tracking/editing/etc yet, by far.... and the guy they are getting to mix it is in the ONE signed band around here that has ever made it out of the state. he's pretty "famous" at least as far as the local scene goes, and so obviously he is going to get all the credit for my hard work. because he is in <such and such a band I wont mention here> and I'm not.

what would you guys do? I'm half considering telling them to get stuffed and finish it elsewhere.

I know it's normal for people to get stuff mixed by an external mixer, but this is a little different IMO.

this isn't some big name shit. I'm not famous, and I did it as cheap as I did it because I could use it to further my career and get some nice rep points.

since the kid is "famous" around here, it's going to be "oh it's that good because <such and such> touched it" and not because I had anything to do with it.

it's just a slap in the face. I'm so sick of bending over backwards to help people and getting slapped in the face for it.

Finnish the job and get credit for what you do on it. It's a bit harsh but it's studio life. But I understand your feeling and frustration (was on same situations for a couple of time). Good luck;)

Just make sure you're compensated for the work you put in and are credited for recording and editing on the cd. Don't get wound up and just try to be professional about it.