Swedish Metal Scene in general

the_fiend

Dan Swano Fanboy
Apr 22, 2008
Singapore
has degraded in quality from where i say it...

now, i'm not exactly a swedish metal encyclopedia but going by the recent swedish band releases that i have heard, it's not quarter as good as it sounded before...

take the 2008 albums by bloodbath, dismember (sans under the bloodred sky) and opeth for example... most bands are "trying" to sound what they are not, which screws the sound up pretty bad... i'm not saying that it sucks, just that it's simply nothing beyond mediocre, which you do not come to expect (or tolerate) from the swedish giants...

scar symmetry was probably the only good swedish release this year...

maybe SOMEONE should do something about it... and soon... *hint* *hint*

PS : Torture Division sounds fucken great as ever too, btw...:kickass:

PS2: everything written above is (obviously) from my own perspective...

The new Bloodbath and Opeth albums FUCKING RULE!!!! I don't know what you're talking about, IMHO TFM is the best album Bloodbath has ever released. (no offense Dan...)

The new Bloodbath and Opeth albums FUCKING RULE!!!! I don't know what you're talking about, IMHO TFM is the best album Bloodbath has ever released. (no offense Dan...)

IMO the Songs from Dan & Anders have always been the best.
On the new one Anders' songs are pretty good again, but the rest gives nothing to me. :/

the opeth album is their 2nd worst album IMO
and the bloodbath cd is their worst till date...
the EP had one great track atleast... TFM just doesn't cut it for me...

Watershed has some amazing tracks. But as a whole, there are much better Opeth albums. Blackwater Park - Ghost Reveries are my favorite. I have to say the earlier the Bloodbath, the better. The EP and the new album haven't really stuck me yet.

I don'T know what you're talking about tbh. Especially Watershed is brilliant, probably one of my favourite opeth albums. And I agree that TFM isn't as good as the rest, but I still like it. But none of it is bad enough that one could talk about poor quality. You're being a bit dramatic.

I totally agree. I was speaking of these albums in comparison to the band's other works. This is my favorite music we're talking about, and NONE of it is bad at all. Of course these albums that we're talking about tower over everything else. But relative to each other, I do have to pick my favorites.

I couldn't agree more actually. Oh btw "The_fiend", I wouldn't really complain if I were you, 'cause the indian metal scene ain't really that healthy, now is it? Is there even an indian metal scene? And no, i do not count Dr. Bombay as metal.

Jesus fuckin' christ, it's quite funny that you think that everything sucks without Dan involved. And it's indeed veeeeery ironic when you state that Torture Division "sounds better than ever". Might this statement have something to do with Dan mixing their new demo? Just ask him to marry you already and don't be an arrogant prick. [insert wanking monkey smilie here]

In this thread:

Someone doesn't quite enjoy the works of a small number of bands, makes a terrible generalization, and expects anyone to care.

Nothings to see here, move along.

I agree the new Opeth album is a dergade in its quality (Their only album which features tracks I don't like, actually). It is a great album nevertheless, but it still was disappointing, I had expected it so much.

And TFM is great.
It is not as good as Nightmares Made Flesh, but it is still pretty fucking enjoyable :)

I couldn't agree more actually. Oh btw "The_fiend", I wouldn't really complain if I were you, 'cause the indian metal scene ain't really that healthy, now is it? Is there even an indian metal scene? And no, i do not count Dr. Bombay as metal.

Jesus fuckin' christ, it's quite funny that you think that everything sucks without Dan involved. And it's indeed veeeeery ironic when you state that Torture Division "sounds better than ever". Might this statement have something to do with Dan mixing their new demo? Just ask him to marry you already and don't be an arrogant prick. [insert wanking monkey smilie here]

1. There is virually NIL indian metal scene... the number of semi decent bands can be counted on fingers...

2. i liked amon amarth's new release and dan being in any record doesn't really matter (although i'd agree it DOES bias me "a bit")...

3. My favorite band right now is eluvietie, which i think has no relation to dan what so ever (check my lastfm in my sig)

i doubt at all that Bloodbath can top NMF, its my favourite Death metal album of all time - nice work, Dan!

and the new Opeth album is amazing, minus Porcelain Heart which DRAGS... Hex Omega drags a bit too, but its far more enjoyable.

the worst metal to come out of Sweden this year is EASILY Sonic Syndicate. How dare they tour with In Flames, even though IF's new album sucks. Sonic Syndicate sound exactly like Atreyu, no joke. Its ridiculous.

I think the new Opeth is the best they've done since Still Life. I love how it feels more prog rock than prog metal, can't really explain why i feel so. Although the songs after Burden don't do anything for me I think everything up to and including Burden is great.
Also, I love the new In Flames. Perfect mix between pop and metal if you ask me. So full of catchy melodies.