Sweep Picking

Nobody touches Malmsteen in terms of sweeps and general shred. Nobody even comes close. There are a few impressive folk like Jani from Sonata Arctica, Alexi from Bodom, Jeff Loomis, the Kalmah guys, Michael Angelo etc. but I've never seen anyone shred as fast and as fluently as Malmsteen does. He even uses shit guitars to boot, as if to rub it into everyone's face.

my favorite song is "faster than the speed of light"

it goes on: "super charged and flyin low/liquid dynamite"

shred-shred-shred

more terrible lyrics.

someone said this in an interview about ten years ago: "yngwie is a parody of himself". i think it may have been dave mustaine or les claypool. i've been using that line ever since.

Moonlapse said:
Yeah it's pretty hilarious. Although if you think that Yngwie is tasteless just check out Michael Angelo.

He used to play with Nitro, right? They had a singer that would shatter glass with his voice as part of their show....but the videos out on the internet from Michael Angelo's instructional video are fucking insane. He looks totally gay (cut-off Gold's Gym t-shirt? come on), but he's ambidextrous and the shit he does is amazing....especially with that two-necked guitar. o_O

Yeah there is a guy that was posted on the Vehemence board by John that impressed me even more. Can't recall his name, but he played a shitload of Bach tunes using his double-necked guitar using a 2-hand tapping style.

haggard said:
He used to play with Nitro, right? They had a singer that would shatter glass with his voice as part of their show....but the videos out on the internet from Michael Angelo's instructional video are fucking insane. He looks totally gay (cut-off Gold's Gym t-shirt? come on), but he's ambidextrous and the shit he does is amazing....especially with that two-necked guitar. o_O
he's STILL wearing that same fucking outfit? jeez. i remember him when i was in high school and thats what he wore. that and that double guitar. he single handedly turned me off to "shredding".

and, yeah, i've seen that mag with Alexi Laiho on it. i couldnt even bring myself to pick it up. probably because i was laughing so hard.
anyone else sick and tired of guys wearing eyeliner?

oh shit! i forgot to mention this: trapped in the car repair shop for a couple hours the other day and all they had to read was the johnny depp issue of RS. in it was an interview with Nikki Sixx. did anyone read this? it was the worst thing i've EVER READ IN MY LIFE.

dorian gray said:
oh shit! i forgot to mention this: trapped in the car repair shop for a couple hours the other day and all they had to read was the johnny depp issue of RS. in it was an interview with Nikki Sixx. did anyone read this? it was the worst thing i've EVER READ IN MY LIFE.
YES! Jesus Christ, the man is a fucking moron...not only does he still wear his hair like it's 1987, but he actually admits to snorting his height in cocaine. What a dipshit.

^glad someone else suffered along with me. the stupidity of that guy is amazing. he plays bass for fucks sake. BASS. and he sucks at it.

I can sweep, but i find it to be a weak method in metal guitar playing, unless you're way down on the high notes i guess, don't really use it much.
alternating the pick up and down is just the correct way to pick, i have done that since i started playing.
I do use a lot of hammer ons though, i will play a chuggy riff then rip a fast scale using all hammers in the middle and so on...

sands of the seas said:
Too bad he has the creativity of a paper clip
(on Yngwie)

lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:

i'm actually somewhat hesitant to learn sweep and shred styles, even though i like listening to stuff like DT or Symphony X and the like, i'm not sure i want my guitar playing to head in that direction. i like my straightforward approach to metal/alternative

about symphony x, the only time ive ever seen a cd of theirs at a cd store or somethin it was always the odyssey, has anyone seen another one of their records at a store like divine wings of tragedy, or twilight in olympus?

Moonlapse said:
Nobody touches Malmsteen in terms of sweeps and general shred. Nobody even comes close. There are a few impressive folk like Jani from Sonata Arctica, Alexi from Bodom, Jeff Loomis, the Kalmah guys, Michael Angelo etc. but I've never seen anyone shred as fast and as fluently as Malmsteen does. He even uses shit guitars to boot, as if to rub it into everyone's face.

Michael Romeo (from Symphony X) is on par with Malmsteen. I'd say at least. Jason Becker too. If not, both are more tasteful in my opinion.