Sweep Picking

what about wintersun....his sweeping and technique all around is brilliant.....
i would even venture to say crazier than necrophagist.....i admire them both....
also amongst them the late chuck schuldner and dream theaters john pretrucci(as dorky as dream theater is)

it took me months to master sweeping.....i have no formal training,so i kinda poked and hoped until i finally got it. i know about 3 or four patterns,but in all honesty,what good does it do you if its not musically applicable?its just like malmstien,hes a great soloist but he cant write a memorable song......so what good is technical skill?
so yeh,sweeping and tapping is cool,but it doesnt meen shit if you cant write a beautifull melody.
Aust

sweep picking is not as easy as some think to get it correctly and make it sound good it takes practice its not a slowed down strum cause you need to practice hitting each note for a certain beat, lets say, all 8th notes you cant just strum each one you got to learn to pick each one then move onto more or less sweeping the string then strumming.

some might contradict me but its what I do it works well hard to practice but good sound comes out.

picking alternative (up, down, up, down) as fast as you can is called shredding haha

Both guitarists in Opeth will sometimes use sweep picking ( and yes, sweep picking is one fluid up and/or down motion or an arpeggio basically) often in their solos, especially Peter's solo (the second real solo, not tiny lead part) in The Leper Affinity. But Opeth don't sweep at the insane speed of the likes of Yngwie Malmsteen, who's pretty much completely mastered the technique. You gotta admit, even though he might be flashy and the songs suck, he can fuckin play!

As for me, I'm really starting to work on it and master it myself, however the sweeping in Opeth is actaully really easy for me. That (and those damn artificial harmonics!) have been the majority of my practicing as of late, as well as basic finger dexterity and endurance.

April issue of Guitar One. Page 49, the one hour workout section is sweep picking. Your welcome

Moonlapse said:
Yeah there is a guy that was posted on the Vehemence board by John that impressed me even more. Can't recall his name, but he played a shitload of Bach tunes using his double-necked guitar using a 2-hand tapping style.

i think you are talking about adam fulara.. hes absolutely mad.. i emailed him a long time ago andh e doesnt have any albums or demos out except one song its a miles davis cover callled so what it should be on his site.. i recommend his other videos expecially autumn leaves (miles davis cover).. heres the site anyway

http://adam.fulara.com/