sweep picking

Nov 30, 2008
Canada
hey i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. im just learning to sweep pick and have been playing for 2 years. i can sweep 2 and 3 strings pretty easily but when i try 4-5-6 strings sweeps i find it way harder and i cant keep my sweeping/picking hand in time with my fretting hand. i found this wierd because of how easily i can sweep two/three strings, will this just take some practise, or is it a there a different technique than sweeping just 2 or 3 strings?

also i was thinking about getting a higher end seven string and was wondering how hard it is to switch over from a middle end six string?

thanks

hey i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. im just learning to sweep pick and have been playing for 2 years. i can sweep 2 and 3 strings pretty easily but when i try 4-5-6 strings sweeps i find it way harder and i cant keep my sweeping/picking hand in time with my fretting hand. i found this wierd because of how easily i can sweep two/three strings, will this just take some practise, or is it a there a different technique than sweeping just 2 or 3 strings?

also i was thinking about getting a higher end seven string and was wondering how hard it is to switch over from a middle end six string?

thanks

Hey onetenpercent,

It should be the same technique but the lower strings do have a slightly different feel which might be throwing you off. When you practice your sweeps, practice slowly picking through the string so it comes to rest on the next string it is about to pick. Also use a metronome, one thing I think sounds horrible is a sweep that has no rhythmic basis.

hope this helps, Chris.
P.S as far as the 7 string goes it's just one more string so it would be like someone who played a 5 string asking you if it was harder to play a 6. The way I see it, if you know you really like the sound of a 7 then get one and don't worry about wether or not it is more difficlult.