Sweep picking

WyldeChilde19

New Metal Member
May 21, 2007
Alright I'm a decent guitar player far as speed goes but before I dive into this Psalm of Lydia I need know a bit more about sweeping. know I need to practice the patterns and synchronization ascending/descending but as far as right hand goes is there anything I should know? technique, skills, or methods the wrist should do for optimum sweepage? or something as small as finger position on pick/angle to strike string.

Oh and chris, you're a god

i would recomment to buy john petrucci´s DVD, he explains very well, what its all about! pretty cool start for the sweep madness. and, yeah many things are on youtube, but buying the thing is def. worth!!! plus u get the lessons transcribed in both, tabs and standart notation!
cheerz

practice both big and small sweeps, id suggest this one song, but i wrote it and if you really want it i can send you the GP file for the sweeps, theyre a bit faster than psalm of lydia, but not as huge shapes

something that i use in them are both bigger shapes, ie, 5-6 strings, and smaller shapes, ie, 3 strings

so i suggest just taking one or two shapes, like, say a B min arpeggio with roots on the G string, 16th fret, and high E, on 19th fret, your pinky will start on the 19th fret, and youll probably know the shape from there. Sweep across the strings, start slow, speed it up til youre flying faster than your metronome, and MAKE SURE each note hits and doesnt damp out

then do the same for larger sweeps

i suggest this godless endeavor, not the sweeps warrel sings over, but the ones after those, they helped me a lot, ESPECIALLY with rolls, those gave me such a hard time until now, but once i sat down with TGE it helped a lot, plus it hits the shape where you pull off pinky to index fingers on the lower strings, which is a good one, and will help for psalm of lydia

ill be attacking psalm of lydia soon...ill let you know if i can think of any excercises to help with it