Practising Sweep Picking

PG and Jari both play closed hand and still pwn.
There are a lot of others who play open hand like Mohammed and Petrucci.
Both work, so neither are wrong. I do both anyways.

You have a strange way of sweeping (imo), but if you get the notes out (in which you do), then it's good.

I would do it like this.

E-------15h19-15----|
B----17----------17-|
G-16----------------|
D-------------------|
A-------------------|
E-------------------|

--D--D--D------U-U-

I wouldn't say Paul Gilbert "closed"...I was thinking more along the lines of an actual fist. If you mean the way he does it, then I'd re-write my previous post but "fist picking" is what I was originally referring to.

And I hardly have a weird way of sweeping, it's how 70% (etc) of players do it. If you reverse it, it makes more sense.

E-19p15--------15-
B-------17---17---
G---------16------

--U-----U-D--D-D--

If you do it the "Alexi way", then for me, I find it uncomfortable as it's not as easy to accent the 6 note feel. With that first upstroke, it helps me get it into my head that it's the first note of the beat...it helps when playing at like 140bmp when you have to rely on muscle memory.

It's people that pick every note that do it 'weird' to me...for example:

E-19-15----------------------15--
B-------17-----------------17----
G---------16-------------16------
D-----------17---------17--------
A-------------19-14-19----------
E---------------------------------

--U--D-U-U-U-U--D-U--D-D-D-D

I think Paul Gilbert & Bruce Bouillet used to sweep this way back in the 80's, plus a couple of modern guys that I can't think of right now.

I think Paul Gilbert & Bruce Bouillet used to sweep this way back in the 80's, plus a couple of modern guys that I can't think of right now.

Yeah I used to do it that way, but later on I just found it easier to do hammer-ons/pull-offs on the edges.

I also do it this way sometimes too, only the I pull off of the 19th fret at the beginning, but the 19,14,19, I pick or hammer on/pull off. It just depends.

Also I agree with Zakk about Frank Gambale. I've been using his excercises for about two years now and he's definitely a good reference for anyone interested in sweeping, especially since alot of his stuff isn't really as common as the type of sweeps you see alexi frequently using.

I always want to make sure I accent the highest pitch and/or the ones at the "climax."

E-------15h19-15----|
B----17----------17-|
G-16----------------|
D-------------------|
A-------------------|
E-------------------|

So in that example, I would make sure I pick the 19 and pull off to the 15, to make sure I accent the D#, seeing as how it's sort of the last note in the arpeggio. I mean, I do think I play my sweeps pretty damn clean, but if I fuck up, at least I make the highlights of the arpeggio clear, you know? =)

And I thought "closed hand" vs "open hand" was just in relation to "strict alternate" vs "economy." As far as you guys are talking, I've always thought "open hand" looks and is more relaxed. But I don't think it really matters.

Eh, I tried to make it like I knew what I was talking about, and failed, evidently. x_X

D-sharp? As the 19th fret on the high e string would be a d-sharp when drop tuned, no? ... I feel like a jackass, but I'm not sure if I should. >_>

Well in standard tuning, it's a B...so you'd have to drop it 8 semitones to get it to D#. :lol:

But when talking in note terms, you write the note that it'd be in standard tuning, even if you're in D standard. So if you're implying that's in D standard for Bodom tuning, you'd call that an Emin with E, G & B, not a Dmin with D, F & A.

You have a strange way of sweeping (imo), but if you get the notes out (in which you do), then it's good.

I would do it like this.

E-------15h19-15----|
B----17----------17-|
G-16----------------|
D-------------------|
A-------------------|
E-------------------|

--D--D--D------U-U-

Wow, that's definitely strange! I don't think it's possible for me to play it that way. You end up the sweep with no pull-off... having to pick the note right after you lift your finger.

Did somebody here never learned SNBN? It's like everyone plays it like an everyday man sport.