Practising Sweep Picking

TheScythed

The B* is Back!
Nov 28, 2009
Netherlands
Hey you guys,

I thought why not ask people who play bodom too (I know this is Off-topic section but fuck that shit) about learning sweep picking. I find it very hard and made a video of my very first sweeping, or at least an attempt to. I'd like to know your opinions and the reason I'm posting this is because I'm not quite sure if I'm putting the technique correctly. I don't want to go further on this technique and finding out later I do it wrong and I can start all over again.. :loco:

Here's a vid of it, first the speed I play it on and then the speed it is supposed to be and where I won't be at soon but just for an impression:

Thanks in advance,

Oh and btw, I know this isn't very clean and the bends aren't right, I only do the same sweep while there are more blabla I know it's just to see if I'm doing this correctly. If you want a cleaner version of SNBN from me just look it up on my account I have recorded it last month or so but it's without sweeps but with a half-decent solo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing how to do it 100% isn't even part of the question if I remember correctly.. :Smug:

@EddyRX10:

I didn't feel much like going through all that thread to find the replies to my questions, I'd rather have an individual thread for it instead..

No.

You should have asked the Question in the Guitar Players Thread. Thats what its there for. We already have enough fucking retarded threads being moved into here from the On Topic section.

closed hand picking ftl

What the fuck? Why does it matter if he uses "closed hand picking"? I have never heard someone distinguish a difference in picking based on whether the hand is closed or not... In fact, I'm pretty certain that it makes no difference whatsoever, you're just chatting bullshit.

And anyway, a GP backing track is much better than using the song as a backing track as any mistakes the player makes aren't masked by the song.

In summary: Shut the fuck up.

closed hand picking and gp backing track ftl

shut the fuck up, I've been playing with my fist closed since I started.
It might be ''the wrong way'' according to some übershredderfags but what the fuck, it looks more manly :rolleyes:

start mega-slowly and with 3 string patterns like snbn, and (cliche) play it over and over again, its like any other technique, rake the pick parallel and palm mute a bit to avoid string ringing.
actually laiho sweeping is really good to practise this technique, use any if his patterns first 3 string, then 4 then 5 then 6, again, the process is long.
i used to sweep like u but with time i now sweep snbn like warheart lol..
ps try and hold the pick like (dont know how to describe it) paul gilbert or laiho , pg explains it on a vid..

E-------15-19p15----|
B----17----------17-|
G-16----------------|
D-------------------|
A-------------------|
E-------------------|

--D--D--D-U-----U-

That's the way I would practice it. However, Alexi does it this way:

E-------15h19p15----|
B----17----------17-|
G-16----------------|
D-------------------|
A-------------------|
E-------------------|

--D--D--D--------U-

And please, do NOT practice SNBN at half speed, it is TOO fast. You need to be practising sweep picking, 6 notes per beat at 40 BPM for your first week or two. If you rush it, you'll pay the price.

Closed-hand versus open hand, pinky on pickguard versus free hand, etc: do what fucking feels best. So obvious.

And it's easier to begin sweep picking with 5 or 6 string patterns.

Closed-hand versus open hand, pinky on pickguard versus free hand, etc: do what fucking feels best. So obvious.

And it's easier to begin sweep picking with 5 or 6 string patterns.

I would also add the fact that with 'open hand', you have the option to actually move your thumb and first finger freely up and down, as opposed to using the wrist 100% for the motion. Yngwie swears by this method, and I use it too as it can help for odd movements or if you only want to do smaller movements during faster playing.

With sweep picking, I find this helps a great deal.

What the fuck? Why does it matter if he uses "closed hand picking"? I have never heard someone distinguish a difference in picking based on whether the hand is closed or not... In fact, I'm pretty certain that it makes no difference whatsoever, you're just chatting bullshit.

And anyway, a GP backing track is much better than using the song as a backing track as any mistakes the player makes aren't masked by the song.

In summary: Shut the fuck up.

I wasn't being completely serious, but whatever.

PG and Jari both play closed hand and still pwn.
There are a lot of others who play open hand like Mohammed and Petrucci.
Both work, so neither are wrong. I do both anyways.

E-------15-19p15----|
B----17----------17-|
G-16----------------|
D-------------------|
A-------------------|
E-------------------|

--D--D--D-U-----U-

That's the way I would practice it. However, Alexi does it this way:

E-------15h19p15----|
B----17----------17-|
G-16----------------|
D-------------------|
A-------------------|
E-------------------|

--D--D--D--------U-

And please, do NOT practice SNBN at half speed, it is TOO fast. You need to be practising sweep picking, 6 notes per beat at 40 BPM for your first week or two. If you rush it, you'll pay the price.

You have a strange way of sweeping (imo), but if you get the notes out (in which you do), then it's good.

I would do it like this.

E-------15h19-15----|
B----17----------17-|
G-16----------------|
D-------------------|
A-------------------|
E-------------------|

--D--D--D------U-U-

PG and Jari both play closed hand and still pwn.
There are a lot of others who play open hand like Mohammed and Petrucci.
Both work, so neither are wrong. I do both anyways.

You have a strange way of sweeping (imo), but if you get the notes out (in which you do), then it's good.

I would do it like this.

E-------15h19-15----|
B----17----------17-|
G-16----------------|
D-------------------|
A-------------------|
E-------------------|

--D--D--D------U-U-

I was joking ffs
But I could've sworn Jari plays open-handed.

I would do it like this.

E-------15h19-15----|
B----17----------17-|
G-16----------------|
D-------------------|
A-------------------|
E-------------------|

--D--D--D------U-U-

Actually, that's the weirdest I've seen it done so far. That would feel weird to only do the hammer on to 19, but not the pulloff. I can do it both of the ways Mitch posted, but I usually do it the first way.