sweeping form problem

Not a bad article, but certainly not the best I've seen. Eric Vandenberg's articles at IBreatheMusic ( http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/22 and http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/124 are good to start) and John Petrucci's Wild Stringdom section on sweep picking are the first ones I'd go to. After that's down, Rusty Cooley's Shred Guitar Manifesto has some scary stuff in it and I wouldn't say that you can do any sweep you want until you've gotten at least two-thirds of those sweeps down (not necessarily as fast as him, but fast enough to not sound like an exercise).

The fun stuff is when you start incorporating large-stretch legato lines in with those sweeps, so there's no way to tell if you're sweeping, tapping, or just not human. That's what I'd like to see an article about, personally.

Jeff

I own shred manifesto, in fact i just got it yesterday, i just went through it real fast though. I cant wait to start practicing it. I think it is a bit advance for someone who is just learning sweeping picking though, lol.

of nvm, i just noticed to said after the other one.. Damn my ADD..

Yes, that clause might be somewhat important in its context. Rusty's sweeps were very influenced by Becker (of whom I'm guessing you're somewhat fond) and seem to take them in the next logical step in the progression of the technique, not in that they're faster or harder but in the fact that he's incorporating tapping and 4+ note per string technique (the latter of the two seems to be turning into the next fast playing/legato/tapping/sweeping in the cutting-edge shred trickbag). I'm personally having trouble with things that require a large stretch between the second and third fingers, especially when no such stretch is required with the other two fingers (even on high fret H-W-H patterns), so while I may have general sweeps down at a given speed I'm not always able to finger other parts of a sequence.

Jeff

It's hard as hell shredding on some nylon-strings - I've found that it really helps to add just a little bit of a palm mute, both to anchor your picking hand more as well as to give the notes more 'impact' in faster runs and in sweeps. Not bad for a few beers and lack of sleep.

Jeff