Morbid Angel:Trey Azathoth's new Dean

Saculus

Jan 15, 2008
The following is from his myspace bulletin:

Subject: Dean Guitars, Building me some cool stuff ;)

Hey Everyone, just wanted to mention that I have been talking with the guys at Dean Guitars and planning some sweet new toys!!!!!

BC Rich is a feeble company and I have never been officially with them. That new Ironbird in my pics is something they made me cause they "Owed" me something for using my image in adds a few years back. iIhave placed some black tape to cover that silly name of theirs and it is now just a "Noize" lable guitar, lol.

Ibanez makes awesome stuff, I swear by the Universe, but they dont make enough other cool shapes to ever play Ibanez only. With this band we have what I think of as 2 types of songs.

6 string tuned to d#... which I like the X shaped guitars

7 string tuned to a#... which the Ibanez Universe is my first choice for I developed such songs with it and its linked if ya get my meaning.

For all these years I have pretty much put together my own guitars, paid for them etc, Frankenstiened them and did my thing.

I have had talks with Elliot who is the Dean Company owner and we have a cool working relationship going. In the works are some new Hardcore Series guitars starting with this new version of the Razor Flying V.

These will be considered "Hardcore Series" or "Hardcore Noize Series" guitars for Extreme Music meaning extreme banging riffs and sick flows.

Currently they are making me a special version of the Razor Flying V.

Specs

This Razor V will be bolt on 24 fret 25 1/2 scale quarter saw maple with a nice rosewood fretboard. Jumbo thick frets to beat, wide playing board with full frets, not all filed at the edges. It will have a nice radius to the back of the neck. Not too thin and not that giant V shape profile to the back of it such as how the neck through Deans are. Dean V Headstock. Pure white fret markers and large pure white side markers. Neck will have a nice back break angle against body lifting the strings off the body for better banging.

This will be made with the option of a Maple fret board with black fret and side markers as well ;)

Mahogany body.

Dimarzio PAF pro type bridge pickup
Seymour Duncan Hotrails neck pickup
5 way super switch with coil tapping all in one switch
Floyd Rose pro
Slanted fender style output jack mount.

One volume knob.

This creation should be ready to be unleashed during these Euro open air festivals this June-July. I will post a pic of it in My Pics as soon as its finished.

Following this new Hardcore Series Razor V will be the Hardcore Series Star.

The Star is the most exciting for me. Body shape similar to my Blue FrankenStar in My Pics, ha. It will share most of the same build specs as mentioned above for the Razor V except that the Star will feature a 24 fret 24 3/4 scale neck such as with my red InstaGIB guitar.

Head stock with all machineheads on one side, not the V shaped headstock.

This guitar will also come with the option of a maple fret board with black fret and side markers.

Also I plan on making a maple fret board with lapis lazuli fret markers as well ;0

I wish to express that Dean is a fantastic company, ultra high quality craftmanship, materials, plus the people working there are the freaken coolest. These guys really know their game and on off time they are all into street rods and like to go play at the Sunshine drag strip.

woot!!!!!

I consider these new guitar creations the Hardcore Series made for Extreme Music plus having also nice additional tones for bubbly solos and coil tap sounds as well.

So, everyone who is interested go visit Dean and comment when they add the news piece about this Hardcore Series Razor V built for me, the silly Hardcore Freak!!!!!!!!!!

Drop it HARD!!!!!!!!! =RAWR=

Trey

When I think brutal riffing, I think PAF Pro, don't know about you guys.

actually lower output pickups bring different kind of brutal...more dynamic and much more reliant on the player and how you lay into the guitar...you could almost think of it as a "less gain for tracking" type of thing.....

actually lower output pickups bring different kind of brutal...more dynamic and much more reliant on the player and how you lay into the guitar...you could almost think of it as a "less gain for tracking" type of thing.....

I noticed that when I installed a Duncan Custom 5 into a guitar I just sold, it really had a different kinda vibe that was really pretty cool for rhythm. That being said, I still was happier with the effortless gain and compression from going back to the EMG81 in my main guitar. :)

HUGE Trey fanboy here. :lol: I think his InstaGIB Ironbird is legendary. I also love all things Morbid Angel.

Speaking of his weird choice of pickup, he plays through a RAT distortion box into a Rane EQ box (with the level slider maxed out) then into his Marshall 900 heads. So I guess that kinda compensates for the lower output of the pickups.

Anyone seen the photos of his Anti-Vacuum Culture Mic setup and the Exposetron? (they were posted on the MA forum a while back but were lost after the hosting changed) I lol-ed for hours when I saw them. This guy is truly nuts! Nothing about him is 'standard' or 'normal'. As he has said many times in interviews, he really might be from another planet after all. :headbang:

Trey is really weird... this guitar sounds absolutely fucking looney based on these specs. Much respect though and he sounds happy, good for him!

TBH if he runs through both those into a jcm900 you'd want a clearer signal to start with! The guy is absolutely amazing though, astonishing guitarist and musician. I just liked picking on the paf sticking out of that im so brutal its so metal speak :lol:
A Morbid Spinal Tap moment!

I actually used to run my rig that way. Before I went "Gibson" I played Ibanez s540's and s470's and I loaded them with Dimarzio PAF Pro's in the Bridge. I then ran into a Turbo Rat and a JCM800 (not the reissue, that baby had the Drake Transformers). I actually designed the rig that way, because I was inspired by Bill Steer and Mike Amott's rigs when I saw them in '95 or '96 I think. It's the "Heartwork" guitar tone. That's how they got that tone, with one exception... they used a RAT, no Turbo:)

I actually used to run my rig that way. Before I went "Gibson" I played Ibanez s540's and s470's and I loaded them with Dimarzio PAF Pro's in the Bridge. I then ran into a Turbo Rat and a JCM800 (not the reissue, that baby had the Drake Transformers). I actually designed the rig that way, because I was inspired by Bill Steer and Mike Amott's rigs when I saw them in '95 or '96 I think. It's the "Heartwork" guitar tone. That's how they got that tone, with one exception... they used a RAT, no Turbo:)

This is the recorded Heartwork guitar tone:

http://noise101.wikidot.com/bands-in-the-studio#toc1

"Carcass - Heartwork - guitar - 5150 mixed with a (little bit of) 12 wt marshall practice amp" into a freaky extended Marshall Cab.

Yeah, Heartwork is definitely predominately 5150, and IMO the album that put the 5150 on the metal map

Damn, must have been an older album then. I know Mike Amott actually told me they used the RAT/JCM setup for their recordings, mostly. Maybe he meant Tools of The Trade and Necrotocism? Eh, who knows... Either way, that rig was sick sounded, kinda wish I never got rid of it. It was very organic, reacted quite differently, depending on who was playing through it.