Swine Flu

Well, Timo Tolkki is sort of right. The Dow is up 150 points today. :lol:

I just can't handle the way the CDC is bullshitting the press and the public about this thing. They're trying to tell us that the bug from Mexico somehow mutated into a less dangerous strain, and that this is why people in other countries aren't dying from it. This is so infinitesimally unlikely as to be impossible. Viruses can only mutate into more virulent strains. The mutation itself is a one-in-a-million chance -- not to mention, when a virus mutates to be less virulent, the mutant gets overgrown by the more virulent bugs, and dies out. The only possible way this could happen is if the mutation happened in a victim, and that victim passed on ONLY the less-virulent viruses to another victim. Plus, even if this near-impossible eventuality were to have occurred, how do you explain the fact that ONLY the "less-virulent" bugs got out of Mexico and infected people in other countries?

The simplest explanation is most often the correct one, and in this case, it's the idea that people in Mexico don't have the same natural immunizations to certain flus that other countries have. This could be a function of the comparatively-crappy health care system in Mexico. The virus doesn't even need to have originated in Mexico. The CDC is saying that it did, and their only evidence is that Mexico is where the virus is doing most of its damage. Perhaps the virus was brought to Mexico by someone in another country, where people are mostly immune to it, and it's doing so much damage there because people there aren't used to it. In fact, the "human" portions of the virus could even be from viruses that many of us in the US are already immune to, through our flu immunization program.

These explanations are much simpler and infinitely more likely than the "less-virulent-strain" theory; however, the government and the media obviously think we're all stupid. They're peddling an explanation that sounds about as plausible as an X-Men movie. Also, keep in mind that the "regular" flu infects people much more rapidly, and kills tens of thousands of people in the US every year. Outside of Mexico, this flu is essentially giving people mild symptoms and then going away.

Do I think this is a huge problem, and that we're all going to die? No. Do I think the problem is being overstated in order to sell news shows and newspapers, as well as to provide an easy "problem" for Obama to take credit for fixing? Yes. But, as with any flu virus, it's important to practice proper hygiene, especially when coughing or sneezing, and to stay home if you get sick, in order to stop the potential spread to people (such as in Mexico) that don't have the proper defenses to combat it.

You'd think that would be simple, but I cannot count the number of people I see who leave the restroom without washing their hands. I am not quite Lady Macbeth about it, but I do wash my hands a lot (and not like Vincent in Pulp Fiction either). And good lord, do people need to stay home when they get sick!

now watch me catch some dread disease now that I've opened my mouth. :b

I just can't handle the way the CDC is bullshitting the press and the public about this thing. They're trying to tell us that the bug from Mexico somehow mutated into a less dangerous strain, and that this is why people in other countries aren't dying from it.

I'm interested in seeing where you got this information from. I contract to the CDC here in Atlanta and I haven't seen this on the CDC network. Just curious.

Kim

There are reports that the flu could have originated in or near Bangladesh and travelled to Mexico...they identified someone who travelled from there to Mexico and then went to Veracruz state (where the worst-hit villages are), someone who was observed to be extremely sick....

It appears to be definite; the number of cases in Mexico is easing...in fact, it began decreasing at around the time the Mexican government went public with the news, on 4/23.

Meanwhile, Obama is telling us they're prepared to do everything needed to fight this incipient pandemic...notably excluding closing the border with Mexico. So, either it's a serious pandemic in which case the border really should be closed (at least officially), or it's not allll that bad and we're seeing a lot of hype.

Unkindest cut of all: 300,000 pigs were butchered by order of the Egypt government...even though there hadn't been any confirmed cases there and the flu bug CAN'T be passed by consuming pork. I think they were just looking for an excuse for cheap bacon and ham. :heh:

I'm interested in seeing where you got this information from. I contract to the CDC here in Atlanta and I haven't seen this on the CDC network. Just curious.

The acting head of the CDC (can't remember his name) said so on the news networks. Maybe he was talking out of his ass.

And good lord, do people need to stay home when they get sick!

Yep. A dude I work with had a bad cold last week, and now two of us (myself included) have it. This is not the first time I've caught a cold from this same co-worker, either.

Pellaz said:
Unkindest cut of all: 300,000 pigs were butchered by order of the Egypt government...even though there hadn't been any confirmed cases there and the flu bug CAN'T be passed by consuming pork. I think they were just looking for an excuse for cheap bacon and ham. :heh:

Even though they're Muslim and they can't eat it... :lol:

And good lord, do people need to stay home when they get sick!

Great idea. Except for all those nice folks who perhaps aren't salaried and can't afford to miss work. Talk to someone trying to stretch an already shitty income to make ends meet that they really need to stay home because of a cold. Many people are also not fortunate enough to work someplace with liberal sick-day policies and so people often feel "encouraged" not to miss work due to illness or they might be replaced. Govt reg's are irrelevant in this matter, because quite simply, it happens a lot.

Great idea. Except for all those nice folks who perhaps aren't salaried and can't afford to miss work. Talk to someone trying to stretch an already shitty income to make ends meet that they really need to stay home because of a cold. Many people are also not fortunate enough to work someplace with liberal sick-day policies and so people often feel "encouraged" not to miss work due to illness or they might be replaced. Govt reg's are irrelevant in this matter, because quite simply, it happens a lot.

This is reality, and this sucks.

Someone said that a virus can not mutate into a less aggressive form, well that is just wrong, accorrding to someone, who by the way works in a lab, and does research into virues and other things that go bump in the night, YES a virus can mutate into a less virulent form, given that it has to in order to survive. A virus's RNA is such that it will mutate in anyway form or fashion in order to survive. It may be that since we here in the US are vaccinated yearly for whatever strain of flu is around, the new flu detects the antibotes our produces and mutates to survive, hence to a non lethal strain. Just some thoughts from a Clinical Lab Scientist who I know very well(My better-half)

This is reality, and this sucks.

Obviously. :rolleyes: I recognize that this is an issue, but as long as individual companies are in charge of this and our mindset remains as is, it will continue. I was hardly born with a silver spoon in my mouth so I have been there, trust me. Still, stay home when you're fucking sick, period, is the best approach.

It doesn't mean that our way of thinking doesn't need to change. Yes, I also realize that people are often contagious before they show symptoms, but until symptoms appear they're not hacking and sneezing and getting their nasties all over the place nearly as much.

My mother nearly died last year from complications of TB, and she likely picked it up at Wal-Mart, Winn-Dixie, or something--somebody with it went out in public and coughed on something that she later touched. This is highly irresponsible and not all that uncommon, as is going into a workplace when you're sick and infecting your co-workers. Is it on the level of having unprotected sex when you know you're infected with HIV? No. but is it the same principle? Absofuckinglutely.

Shaye

Obviously. :rolleyes: I recognize that this is an issue, but as long as individual companies are in charge of this and our mindset remains as is, it will continue. I was hardly born with a silver spoon in my mouth so I have been there, trust me. Still, stay home when you're fucking sick, period, is the best approach.

Easy to say, tougher to do. Where do you draw the line. TB or major contagious illness? Sure, that's easy. Stay home.

What about a cold? What about early symptoms that might become a cold, might be allergies, or might be swine flu? Should people huddle in the house until they have no signs of any illness.

Even if I am salaried and have sick days, I can't afford to take off every time I have a cold. My colds usually last 8 or 9 days. I coudn't keep my job if I took off every time that happened. It's easy to say, and I agree about staying home if you are really sick, but there's always a grey area.

Is it on the level of having unprotected sex when you know you're infected with HIV? No. but is it the same principle? Absofuckinglutely.

Must everything you say ALWAYS lead back to sex? :)

Steve in Philly