Switching advice for a penny pincher

Oct 22, 2007
Hi, i need some form of MIDI controllable device with FX loops that can be bypassed. I need 3 loops. One for the preamp of my 5150, one for another preamp for cleans, one for effects. All in a rackmount enclosure.

The only option I've found is the Voodoo Labs GCX + behringer MIDI foot pedal- which costs a whopping £457 on Thomann.

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the GCX?

Better off saving up and just getting a GCX/Ground Control Pro combo, or look into Axxes Electronics...

If you're into soldering I'm told it's quite easy to get MIDI control with an Arduino chip...

The arduino thing just looks terrifying.

What about patch bays? I'm not really sure what they are- but they seem to have 1/4 inch jacks being routed to different locations which is what i'm after?

What about patch bays? I'm not really sure what they are- but they seem to have 1/4 inch jacks being routed to different locations which is what i'm after?

Patch bays don't have any sort of MIDI control. They're just a handy set fo connections all in one place so you don't have to go burrowing around the back of you rack every time you want to route things differently.

Really? Damn. I haven't had time to check it out myself, was just told it could be done. The guy said it was "really easy" but he's an electronics boffin of sorts, so his definition of "easy" might match a normal bloke's definition of "terrifying" quite closely.

What about the Providence PEC-2?

I know that mike ammot uses/used one on tour with arch enemy, but i've never seen a shop (online or 'in the wild') selling them so i have no idea how much they are.