SX Live vs. Studio

Death_of_Rats

New Metal Member
Mar 22, 2005
I'd like to know how good the live version in comparison to the studio albums is. Better? worse?
Also, how is it in comparison to other live cd's, like Blind Guardian's Live for example (in the sound quality and such category)?

Stuff from Divine Wings and Twilight sounds great live - there's a lot more intensity to it, and they're just rockin' songs for concerts. V's my favorite album, but I think it just isn't suited for live playing, with a few exceptions.

It depends on how much you like live versions, and, as ofsinsandshred said, it depends on the song. Songs that are more complex production-wide will sound worse (orchestrated parts, more than one guitar, etc). The others sound great, but, again, it depends on how much you like live versions.

PS: Is anyone else pissed off because Live on the edge of forever doesn't have The edge of forever???

The band is amazing when you see them live, but I'm not knocked out over the production of their double live CD. I'm anxiously waiting for a concert DVD.
The only complaint I ever had from a concert was Pinella's volume just isn't up enough.

Disc 2 is freakin' awesome. Of course, I lost it because that's just how life is; but, my memories are very fond. I didn't think V came out well live, as OfSinsAndShred said earlier. DWOT and Through The Looking Glass are unholy on the live CD.

They sound awesome live. The only thing I don't like is the "Iron Maiden" syndrome of playing everything way faster than the studio versions. After a while it kind of wears me down. But the playing and performance are still amazing!

OdinsCourt said:
They sound awesome live. The only thing I don't like is the "Iron Maiden" syndrome of playing everything way faster than the studio versions. After a while it kind of wears me down. But the playing and performance are still amazing!
Yeah, what is that? The set ends up being like 45 minutes because they play everthing at 2x speed.