Where does SX go from here?

So answering the question, Symphony X are already finished imo.

Pretty bleak outlook, but to each their own.

I know once a band changes their sound a little bit they rarely ever go back to their original sound, and if they do it's never the same. So i'm not going to expect SX to ever return to the 'Twilight' and 'Divine Wings' sound that I love so much, but it would be cool if they incorporated their more melodic proggy sound with the new aggressive sound. They have said in interviews that they will continue with the heavy sound most likely because they like that at the moment, so fair enough I'll still buy it and probably love it. I just hope the production on the next album is a bit more dynamic instead of being a wall of sound.

As far as SX being finished goes? No way. they are only just hitting their stride commercially, being on gigantour helped them to gain a lot more world wide exposure and the fact that they have only just started making vieos for their songs means that they are probably going to get a lot bigger. It means they have more fans to satisfy in the coming albums and they are going to be trying harder to please them, which can be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you feel about this. I think the band have a lot left in them, but they may sacrifice certain aspects of thir music to satisfy a bigger fanbase which I hope won't be the case. Either way I can see myself enjoying whatever they do, after all it is Symphony X we are talking about.

Personally, I think we're gonna get something similar to PL, maybe with one track full of synth and melody to please the older fans. I don't see them doing a full-on concept album (not looking to get into a discussion about whether PL is/is not a "true" concept album) or retreading back to the more prog-infused material.

Either that, or they'll at least make the keyboards a bit more prominent to give the music that extra dimension and depth that we love in "V." I too love the beefed up sound they used in PL, so if anything it will be cool to hear if that sound is enhanced by the use of more melodic elements. Mike Pinnella is so talented and crucial to their music that I don't think his contributions will be completely downplayed, even if they don't write an epic song. But I too would love to hear the more symphonic elements mixed with their current, more metal approach.

Nice thinking: After making an album you love, they make an album you don't like so much. Solution: they are finished...

I like Paradise Lost best out of all their albums by far; not into the operatic, symphonic, melodic stuff too much. The heavier, more serious stuff is my fave, and Russell Allen's voice, along with Romeo's scorching guitar, make PL a masterpiece. I LIKE the Odyssey, but don't LOVE it. Except for Wicked, it's great, but not magnificient like PL. I am glad to hear they will continue in the heavier direction; the word metal does not, and SHOULD not, conjure up soothing, lyrical stuff. This is just my five cents worth, so don't go flogging me. And I saw them twice in this PL tour, and they were better the first time by far. I think they are exhausted from touring for over a year and need to rest before they get onto the next masterpiece of heavy stuff. I can hardly wait. Anyone have even a slight CLUE what they are getting inspiration from on this CD? I hear they already have some material for it.

I like Paradise Lost best out of all their albums by far; not into the operatic, symphonic, melodic stuff too much. The heavier, more serious stuff is my fave, and Russell Allen's voice, along with Romeo's scorching guitar, make PL a masterpiece. I LIKE the Odyssey, but don't LOVE it. Except for Wicked, it's great, but not magnificient like PL. I am glad to hear they will continue in the heavier direction; the word metal does not, and SHOULD not, conjure up soothing, lyrical stuff. This is just my five cents worth, so don't go flogging me. And I saw them twice in this PL tour, and they were better the first time by far. I think they are exhausted from touring for over a year and need to rest before they get onto the next masterpiece of heavy stuff. I can hardly wait. Anyone have even a slight CLUE what they are getting inspiration from on this CD? I hear they already have some material for it.

Even the big pioneers of metal have always had "soothing" moments in metal music - power ballads, string accompaniment, etc. Plus, the old Symphony X wasn't just soothing - they had tons of heavier material as well,
and even PL has softer moments. I think it's a mark of a good band when you can do both, which they definitely can. I have no problem at all with some softer material - just my opinion.

That said, I'd love an album full of longer heavy songs like Walls of Babylon and Revelation. Some more heavy neoclassical stuff like Seven would be cool too. I can dream...

In my opinion, the melodic stuff is what makes Symphony X so unique. Any metal band can make a balls-out heavy song, but Symphony X show their true talent and diversity when they can put songs like Accolade II and King of Terrors back to back. This isn't to say I don't like their heavier, crunchier stuff - Walls of Babylon, Domination, Wicked, King of Terrors, Set the World on Fire, Serpent's Kiss - all excellent songs. I'm just saying I think it takes more talent to write songs like Paradise Lost, Revelation, Awakenings, The Odyssey, Candlelight Fantasia, Through the Looking Glass, Communion and the Oracle, Divine Wings of Tragedy - they have that extra emotion and feeling in these that most bands simply can't capture.

^Exactly. Not to mention the songs that combine both aspects like TDWOT and The Odyssey.

Btw. Anyone else secretly hoping for Accolade III on the next album? :p

1 hour ago is the first time I ever heard something from Symphony X. I had gotten The Divine Wings of Tragedy, and it's almost finished as I'm typing this. It's on the last song, Candlelight Fantasia. I love it so far! The only real problem I had is with the poppy chorus from Out Of The Ashes. It had some cool bits, but in my opinion the chorus killed it.

But yes, this has been a pleasant journey into the brilliance of Symphony X. I can't say I know a lot about them, just heard one CD, heh. I'm definitely going to listen more from now on, cause I really enjoyed most songs, and of course it needs relistening. It just finished, and I immediately put it on again, good eh?

So, I can't really say anything about where they have to go from now on, cause I would have to listen to more of their stuff.

Also this is my first post to these forums, looks awesome (the forum, not my post, haha)

^Hey, I think I know you! ;) Welcome to the forums dude, good to see you here. Get Twilight In Olympus, V, The Odyssey and Paradise Lost next.