SYMPHONIC METAL

SavaVIDude

Savatage Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
Houston, Texas, USA, Earth
I just love this genre. I was wanting some bands I am not familiar with that combine heavy metal with classical. "Big" music with many layers, orchestra sounds as well as heavy guitars. Examples are SoulSpell, Avantasia and Rhapsody. I even like this mixed with speed metal and the occasional death vox. Chick singers are OK also.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Chris :headbang:

This song right here is, in my opinion, the single best symphonic metal song I have ever heard. This takes the orchestrations to a new level, coupled with Brazilian power metal ala Angra. Play it LOUD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I looked them up. Which CD is this off of and what CD do you recommend?

This one is from Luxaeterna, which is my personal favorite. It's the heavier, speedier of the two. Shambala is also great, but has more of a "Holy Land" vibe with a more balanced sound, whereas Lux tends to carry the more Helloween-esque German power metal style.

Both are GREAT, and if you enjoy this niche are must-owns.

Can't wait to see what others post on here, as this is probably my favorite sub-genre around.

Here's another one I'll throw out for fun..... I assume most folks on here have heard of Dark Moor, so I don't think this is much of a reach, but this is one of those bands that have been around for years, and just seem to get better and better. The recent material has a slightly mellower sound perhaps, but is just so damn SMOOTH it's hard to resist. My wife really likes this band, and she is (in general) not a big fan of metal.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iROXaFdZcxk&feature=kp[/ame]

There's a band from Italy named Sleeping Romance that's pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking but solid symphonic power metal nonetheless. I just picked up their debut CD and have been listening to it the past few days. Good stuff!

Amberian Dawn, Lingua Mortis Orchestra featuring Rage. The album is called LMO. Rage also has two great albums featuring the Lingua Mortis orchestra called XIII and Ghosts. Eternal Tears Of Sorrow and Fleshgod Apocalypse are cool, too.

Here's another one I'll throw out for fun..... I assume most folks on here have heard of Dark Moor, so I don't think this is much of a reach, but this is one of those bands that have been around for years, and just seem to get better and better. The recent material has a slightly mellower sound perhaps, but is just so damn SMOOTH it's hard to resist. My wife really likes this band, and she is (in general) not a big fan of metal.

/QUOTE]

Dark Moor is a great choice...I love Autumnal

This was one of my favorites off it.

Another favorite of mine is Dol Ammad from Greece. The first track Hyperspeed is really awesome Symphonic Space Metal. Literally.

The second track features guest vocals from DC Cooper. They are heavily influenced by Therion but definately unique.

Another one worth checking. Thy Majesty- "Hastings 1066"