Symphony X - Anyone?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I was listening to Symphony X's "Mythology Suite" CD... and being blown away by it, as I always am. The next disc, queued up in my car, was Opeth's "Morningrise". Now, while these two bands have an obvious number of differences, there are also a good number of similarities; a general disregard for song length, incredible musicianship, great lyrics, and an afininity for concept albums. Which made me wonder, how many folks, if any, on this board also listen to SX?

GZ

Fuck Yeah! i own most of their albums, except for the first one and the new live one! Hey have you listened to MJR's The Dark Chapter? It's really good! Neoclassical shred but with odd time sigs and.. i dunno... coolness :) sounds like an instrumental symph X if you couldn't have guessed hehe. MJR is one of my favorite guitar players!

Symphony X is awesome. Below this post... That's one of their quotes. I have all of their CDs: Symphony X, The Damnation Game, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, New Mythology Suite 5, Twilight in Olympus, V, and Live on the Edge of Forever. I'm glad to finally see more Symphony X fans...

I love Symphony X... have been a fan for some time.
Was supposed to see them with Savatage... but the plans changed and they are of course in the studio now... ah well... at least that means we get another Symphony X CD! :)

For what it's worth, I got a chance to see them headline the opening night of ProgPower 2.0 in Atlanta. I have seen a lot of bands perform live, but I have never seen a band so easily walk through a set, of extremely complex music, without even cracking a sweat. It was simply amazing. I know they don't tour much, but if you get the chance to see them live, do so.

GZ

New Mythology Suite is my first SyX CD. I just randomly got some songs and I liked them and they all happened to be from it, so it made my choice easy. To tell the truth though I haven't listened much after the first couple days since I bought like 6 CDs in the last month and I have to digest it all.

Which other albums of theirs are good? Besides all of them.

-Hondo

One of my favourite bands...
I have all five albums and the live 2-cd, and I can say all songs are great with no exception.
Their sefltitled is soooo underrated..
I'm really looking forward to hearing thier new one..

If I would rate the cd I would palce them in this order..:

1. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
2. Twilight In Olympus
3. V
4. The Damnation Game
5. Symphony X
6. Live on the Edge of Forever

Anyone who doesnt have TDWOT should defenitely get it..

I have their V cd. It is without a doubt an excellent cd. I only have one problem with it. The keyboardist sounds like he is playing a casio keyboard at times during his solos...and that takes away from their "power" sound.

Originally posted by Lutz

If I would rate the cd I would palce them in this order..:

1. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
2. Twilight In Olympus
3. V
4. The Damnation Game
5. Symphony X
6. Live on the Edge of Forever

Anyone who doesnt have TDWOT should defenitely get it..

TOTALLY agree! though i haven't heard the last 2 on your list :) DWOT is fuckin amazing!

I like them quite a bit. I don't own any of their CDs, simply because there is always something else that I would rather buy on those rare occasions when I get to go to a decent CD store. They are all amazing musicians, and even though I don't prefer Romeo's style of playing I still think that he is one of the best guitarists out there.

Symphony X is cool, and I can deal with their cheesy elements, though some people can't. As LA Weekly said in their review of Live At the Edge of Forever, "This is metal. This is glorious, theatrical, cheesy metal. The kind of metal that makes you want to eat liqeur filled chocalates with Joe Lynn Turner.":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: