Symphony X- The odyssey

Nevermore and SX are two of my favorite bands. They are, quite possibly, the two best bands on the planet. To me, comparing Loomis and Romeo is pointless. Their styles are drastically different, they are trying to do two different things, in bands that are in different sub-genres. Both are awesome live and on disc.

"The Odyssey" will be my disc of the year. I imagine Nevermore's new one will be my disc of the year in 2003.

GZ

Originally posted by neal
yeh. ive never heard symphony x, but from the name and the DT comparison i will assume its buttrock and declare jeff the winner.
-neal

They're nothing like Dream Theater neal, that's a stupid comparison. THat's like the homo's that say Metallica and Megadeth were exactly the same when quite honestly i couldn't think of two more different bands (hell, even Britney Spears and Morbid Angel have their similarities compared to those two :lol: )

Now first things first, Dream Theater are a good band. I know they aren't "True" like everyone seems to want these days, but they sure beat the hell out of boring crap like In Flames, Soilwork and Dark Tranquillity.

Secondly, Symphony x. They are progressive thrash, extremely DARK progressive thrash. If you want an introduction to them (a proper introduction so that you aren't making harsh judgements simply because a few un-schooled metalheads think they are similar to DT), then i would reccomend downloading the following tracks first

Egypt
Pharoah
Fallen
Cataclysm
King of Terrors
Orion

- Kegan of Dwyer

Symphony X is Dark Progressive Thrash?? That may be a first right there. I consider Symphony X Melodic Progressive Metal with hints of Neoclassical but they are seemingly getting away from that. I love both bands but to me Symphony X is just a better band all the way around. BTW Dead Heart rules!!!

also Symphony X just played show in SF when BG canceled last friday and it was friggen awesome, it was the 3rd time I have seen them and it was a great show,they are anything but boring, if someone thinks they are boring then please turn me onto a live band that fucking kicks ass live, they are one of the best bands I have ever seen live and since I have been going to concerts since '83 and I have seen quite alot of shows since. Laters

Bear

You self rightous losers think you know it all.. Do yourselves a favor and quit over analyzing prog metal bands and go out and try to get laid or some shit. God the musicians themselves dont talk like this!!!!!...........I hate all you fucks, Death becomes you..

"extremely DARK progressive thrash"? I wouldn't even say they're "dark", much less "extremely dark". And I certainly wouldn't call them "thrash". If you feel the desire to classify them, I'd say their style is decidely progressive, with neo-classical influences. Additionally, I'd say that aside from both bands being exceptionally talented, there are very few similarities between DT and SX.

GZ

Originally posted by Never Satisfied
You self rightous losers think you know it all.. Do yourselves a favor and quit over analyzing prog metal bands and go out and try to get laid or some shit. God the musicians themselves dont talk like this!!!!!...........I hate all you fucks, Death becomes you..

Wah Wah Wah...should I send you a tissue???? Shut up, if you dont like it, dont respond.

Goddamn your stupid.

One thing you should try is drinking some bleach...that will calm you down.:lol:

Originally posted by Never Satisfied

kill yourself

suicide.jpg

also trapped....you talk like Romeo plays it safe all the time like just another Yngwie clone....

how about some of those solos nearing the end of "TDWOT" where he's totally playing outside the chord Holdsworth type shit??

I think Romeo's chops are definately more monstrous than Loomis....he has the best string skipping techique this side of Shawn Lane and brilliant note choice.

And how about the tremendous feel he has with the bar...Loomis doesn't have a tenth of that tremelo bar control....Romeo rivals Jason Becker.

I think that first solo in "DWOT" says everything....great control, note selection, inventive phrasing, huge chops...and that killer Hungarian scale he throws in......

the man is in a (weight) class of his own.