Symphony X: Trouble in Paradise

^ And that is pretty much why I like Oculus the most and wish it was a long/complete musical piece instead of just a prelude.
But then all those kids would come on forums crying "ZOMG!! this isn't metal!!".

To be honest I can't imagine that anyone who's ever heard an entire Symphony X album would come on here and complain about an orchestral piece not being metal enough. Maybe if a band like Slayer composed an orchestral piece on a new album then everyone would be like 'WTF?!' but I think the only reason why they wouldn't make Occulus a longer piece is because they want to be able to play most of the songs off their album in a live situation maybe, not sure its just the way I figured it. Love Occulus but I think its long enough as it is and its a great intro piece.

Thankfully I haven't noticed listening fatigue with PL, though I haven't listened to it in a while...hmm ;)

Hey Jeremy, do you think you could do me a huge favor and remix/remaster Iron Maiden's Dance Of Death...I frickin LOVE that album, but the flat, lifeless production almost ruins it...not sure what Kevin Shirley was thinking. Let me know what your price is :D

That Maiden disc does have a terrible sound!!!

There were also discussions about Death Magnetic being recorded like this causing people to complain...

throwing this out there - i can listen to PL all the way through no problem. but yeah, the tone and production in divine wings an TiO were my favorites, definitely. i've never even disliked the odyssey or PL because of production, though. they keep me interested start to finish.

^ And that is pretty much why I like Oculus the most and wish it was a long/complete musical piece instead of just a prelude.
But then all those kids would come on forums crying "ZOMG!! this isn't metal!!".

I was happy with PL when I first got it, but I remember very well that one of my first reactions was saying I can't listen to the whole album at once. Too loud/compressed for what I'd expect from SymX.

I completely agree that a good and well-explored dynamic range is an essential part of an expressive musical piece. Not just in terms of production/mastering, but also the composition itself.

Just listen to tracks like Communion and the Oracle, The Accolade, The Edge of Forever, Shades of Grey.

The tracks in PL lacked a good dynamic range, except for Oculus, the title track, and The Sacrifice.

I was happy with PL when I first got it too....but that is mainly because I had waited like almost 5 years for a new SyX album.

I was happy with PL when I first got it, but I remember very well that one of my first reactions was saying I can't listen to the whole album at once. Too loud/compressed for what I'd expect from SymX.

I completely agree that a good and well-explored dynamic range is an essential part of an expressive musical piece. Not just in terms of production/mastering, but also the composition itself.

Just listen to tracks like Communion and the Oracle, The Accolade, The Edge of Forever, Shades of Grey.

The tracks in PL lacked a good dynamic range, except for Oculus, the title track, and The Sacrifice.

I was happy with PL when I first got it too....but that is mainly because I had waited like almost 5 years for a new SyX album.