Symphony X vocal harmonies (live)

MorphineChild205

Lt. Horatio Caine
Jun 20, 2003
Chicago
I was listening to LOTEOF recently, and I was trying to figure out who does what vocal harmony in the songs. I don't have the booklet with me, but I seem to remember that Romeo, Pinnella and Lepond all supply backing vocals - although how to distinguish their voices is still a mystery to me. Can someone help me out?

For example, in the bridge section of Church Of The Machine (right after the second verse), there's a cool harmony - but who? Also in the Sea Of Lies outro, there's a REALLY high voice above Russell's...which of those three can sing that high? I also recall the last vocal line in Smoke And Mirrors being harmonized quite nicely ("oh, the night calls")...

Any help would be appreciated.

dunno if this helps but when i saw Sym X live, Pinnella was doing most of the backing vocals. I think Lepond and Romeo did a few too, but not as many.

You guys ARE talking about the choir section right? I don't think its playback at all. I think the sound man puts an effect on their vocals to make them sound like a choir. At least thats what I always thought.

You guys ARE talking about the choir section right? I don't think its playback at all. I think the sound man puts an effect on their vocals to make them sound like a choir. At least thats what I always thought.

Yeah, I know a guy who can do this with a Digitech rack unit. Really cool stuff... I think that's what they do. And when I saw them, it was mostly Romeo and Pinella doing the backup. I could barely see Pinella behind his keyboards, though, so I can't go into much detail!

Yeah I think Pinella is the one that does MOST of the backing vocals but Romeo does some too. I've never seen Lepond do any. The coolest thing Ive ever seen them do in terms of vocal harmonies is in Through the Looking Glass, the very end when Russell hits the long "and sooooooooooooooooooon" the band cuts out and the 3 of them (Romeo, Russ, Pinella) all harmonize that "soon" part. Fucking amazing. then Russ comes back in with "you'll belieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve!!" great stuff :)

Yes, Pinella does most of the backups (and surprised me - he has an excellent voice) and MJR and Lepond do a few others. What they do for the choir parts (well they did when I saw them in March) is use a sample of the original, but also sing live over the top to keep it as live as they can, but still with that processed choir sound. And if anyone knows what effect is on the choir sounds I would be very interested!

the of sins and shadows choir section seems to be sampled right from the studio recordings. So when they come to that part of the song, Pinella hits a specific key on one of his keyboards, and the choirs are coming from a sampler...at least I do think so ;-)

Has anyone seen them play inferno live? is it Romeo or Pinnella who does the ''GA GA DA DA!!!!" in the backround of the verses?

They just leave out that background part in the verse of Inferno. I honestly dislike the way they do the bridge of Of Sins and Shadows live... the way they have the vocals played over. It takes away from the energy of the song because they play the song much faster live but then basically hit a brick wall because they gotta slow down bigtime for that section.

Hey BastrdDrmr, judging from you sig, you'd love the Arch Enemy/Evergrey tour happeneing.

I was just trying to figure out which one of them has the REALLY high voice.

The thing in Of Sins And Shadows just sounds like a recording...Pinnella probably triggers it or something.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Does anyone know what they're actually saying at the "GA GA DA DA" part?

I've betrayed - slowly fade
I repent my inner plea
I've denied - sanctified
Cannot hide from this monstrosity
I'm immersed in a curse
Of this jaded imagery
Realize that your cries
only jeopardize this legacy