Symphony X - which album(s) should I try first?

AEdam

Among acres of skin
Jan 10, 2010
In a body
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I'm into a bit of prog metal and gonna give Symphony X a try

Wondering which of their albums is more likely to suit my taste to start off with.

I've been into Dream Theater a fair bit (favourite albums include Train of Thought and Awake)
I like lots of complexity and guitar lead and good riffs, also good lyrics. Any suggestions for which albums to try?

Feel free to suggest other bands also.
Others I've been into include: Tool, Mastodon, TMV, Fear Factory, Porcupine Tree, Cog, Megadeth and others.

SymphonyX-Odyssey.jpg

This, not the new one. All the other elder ones are also very good.

You will soon fall in love with Symphony X. I literally recommend them all, except the debut which I am not too much into. Odyssey is a good start. What I would do is, grab Odyssey and The Divine Wings of Tragedy. Then grab Paradise Lost and Twilight in Olympus. Then you can grab the rest (V, Damnation Game, S/T if you'd like).

Symphony X are one of a handful of bands I can say, "You can't go wrong."

Gonna follow MetalAges' recs and pick up two records from these guys.I've been wanting to check them out for a long time now. Comparisons to Dream Theater from biased detractors and senseless haters are somewhat discouraging.But whatever
A 60$ gamble may buy years of enjoyment.

Yeah Symphony X was my absolute favorite band for over a year, they're still one of my favorites. It's really hard to say, but whenever i'm on the go and want to listen to SX i usually put on The Odyssey, but personally V is their best. They're all amazing and have really good qualities about them. Even their first isn't that bad, just very different.

Fuck yeah, SymX got me into metal and is still my favorite band. Odyssey is prolly the best they've done, but you like MetalAges said you really can't go wrong with any of em. The new one was fairly disappointing, but it's still better than 95% of all music on the planet.

And give Paradise Lost a try too, I've seen a lot of elitist fucks foul mouthing it because they don't find it true enough, but that's a load of bullshit.

Their s/t, Damnation Game, and The Odyssey are their worst albums.

Best ones to start with are Divine Wings Of Tragedy, V: The New Mythology Suite, and Twilight In Olympus, those are their best.

Its a good album. So its not saying much. But still I consider it one of their worst since V: TNMS, TiO, PL, and DWoT are better.

Edit: Actually its better than PL so that puts it in the middle then :p

I think the band is overrated by alot of people. I tend to get abit angry with SX when I listen to them because some parts can be really excellent but I rarely feel that they can keep it up for the whole record (or even the whole song sometimes).

I do however really like The Odyssey. The production on that album isnt as flat and "soft" as some of their other stuff and most songs are really good. And the epic title track is one of my favorite songs ever actually. For me its non-brainer to start with this album.

I would start in this order...

1. Divine Wings of Tragedy
2. Twilight In Olympus
3. V: The New Mythology Suite
4. The Odyssey
5. Paradise Lost