What to try next from these classic bands?

Lateralus14

New Metal Member
Oct 16, 2008
So I've been trying to get a lot more into traditional heavy metal/nwobhm lately and am really loving what I have so far with Angel Witch, Pagan Altar, Manilla Road, Mercyful Fate, Cirith Ungol, etc. My problem is knowing where to go next with the few classic bands that have ridiculously extensive discographies with a lot of all-around high ratings. I know these bands are obviously brought up all the time but there's not an active Traditional Heavy Metal thread or w/e so bear with me I guess. What 1-2 albums would be best to try next from these? I'll just list what I have.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings, Stained Class
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Iron Maiden - First 3 (I'm not terribly into any of them but I know some later albums are talked about more)

Also, random and nowhere near classic, but I'm also a little lost in Against Nature's discography (I have Accumulus with no idea what to try next, with very few reviews of their albums).

Judas Priest-Sin after sin, Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather, British Steel, Point of Entry, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith, Painkiller

Maiden-Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, No Prayer for the Dying, Fear of the Dark, Brave new world

If you don't like the first three Maiden albums you might not want to try the rest. Or pick one from a different vocalist. I get annoyed with Bruce Dickinson a whole lot, sometimes.

Next albums I would get would be:
Iron Maiden- Piece of Mind
Judas Priest- Sin after Sin
King Diamond- Abigail

So I've been trying to get a lot more into traditional heavy metal/nwobhm lately and am really loving what I have so far with Angel Witch, Pagan Altar, Manilla Road, Mercyful Fate, Cirith Ungol, etc. My problem is knowing where to go next with the few classic bands that have ridiculously extensive discographies with a lot of all-around high ratings. I know these bands are obviously brought up all the time but there's not an active Traditional Heavy Metal thread or w/e so bear with me I guess. What 1-2 albums would be best to try next from these? I'll just list what I have.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings, Stained Class
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Iron Maiden - First 3 (I'm not terribly into any of them but I know some later albums are talked about more)

Also, random and nowhere near classic, but I'm also a little lost in Against Nature's discography (I have Accumulus with no idea what to try next, with very few reviews of their albums).

From Judas Priest, the obvious next logical step is of course Sin After Sin. Hellbent for Leather is also excellent.
Manilla Road's most consistent album is perhaps Mystification, so go with that next. Follow that up with Open the Gates, then Out of the Abyss since The Deluge is impossible to find under $60 basically.
Go to Powerslave next for Iron Maiden. The eponymous track is possibly their best Dickinson era song.

Against Nature; Accumulus is the beginning of a transition for the band, because it's right around the time the original Revelation lineup reunited, leaving Against Nature to explore terrain that would never be covered by Revelation. The earlier albums are much more in tune with Revelation. Their best albums are The Anxiety of Influence, Panoply, Leer, Ghosting, and Safe Dissonance.

For more doom metal in this vein, check out these bands:

Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
Gates of Slumber - Conqueror/Hymns of Blood and Thunder (I've only heard these 2, but they are really great)
The Lamp of Thoth - Portents, Omens & Dooms

But really...just listen to Pagan Altar's Volume 1 continuously.

SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON
SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SOOOUUUOOOOUUUUNNN
OOOOOOOooooOOOOoooOOOoooOOOoooOOOOoooOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH

My recommendation to you would just backtrace each band's discography and start working your way forward, including EP's (assuming there is new material on them). That's what I tend to do, especially if I'm not familiar all that much with bands. It's kinda fun to hear how much they changed over the years.

Judas Priest - Sin After Sin

Manilla Road - Open the Gates, The Deluge

Iron Maiden's first two albums are coincidentally also their best two albums. Bruce Dickinson is a good singer, but Di'Anno and the band had way more attitude in the early days.

Buy these:

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
Satan - Court in the Act

Also, do this.

Maybe try Somewhere in Time or Seventh Son of a Seventh Son from Maiden. Powerslave is obviously also very good but if you don't like Number of the Beast that much it is much more similar to that than the other two albums I mentioned (not that there are HUGE differences between Maiden albums in the first place, it is still Maiden after all ;) ).

For priest Sin after Sin is the obvious answer as you probably gathered from most replys here. I think Killing Machine is good too though.

My favorite Manilla Road album is Open the Gates and it is pretty much exactly in the same vein as Crystal Logic so you'll probably like it. Mystification is great too but alittle more thrashy, also the newer albums are all good with Spiral Castle maybe being my favorite. The Deludge is probably nice too I haven't heard it yet though as it is kinda hard to get hold of for a decent price. :)