Which DAW should I take?

Siguros

Jul 30, 2011
Newport, UK
I've discovered a great amount of effects I really want to use/buy such as the Mokafix, EAReverb and a few others that are usually VST or Windows only.

I use a hackintosh dual booted with Win7 and OS X Lion.

My preferred DAW is Logic Pro 9, I find it easy to navigate and know quite a bit about it now.

Is it worth swapping to Win7 or sticking with OS X and using Pro Tools 10/Logic Pro 9 (Also do the VST wrappers work nicely, I saw there is a VST to AU wrapper available has anyone tried this?)

I've thought about getting Pro Tools 10 and using whatever plugins I can't use in Logic in that, bouncing the track with the certain plugin on and then putting it back into Logic... could be feasible.

Views?! Cheers :dopey:

I've changed from Pro Tools and Sonar to completely Reaper for everything INCLUDING midi which I think is superior to Sonar's, I don't do a lot of fancy stuff with midi, but for the usual things I prefer it.

I use Logic 9 for MIDI stuff and Reaper for pretty much everything else.

Do you just import the midi then? How do plugins like SD2 etc work in Reaper? It'd kinda suck to move over cause I have a project in Logic that has everything ready to record, all my busses etc. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try Reaper though.

I tried Cubase but it was never my cup of tea, hated the interface when I used it on Win.

Crazy that some of you have moved from PT down to Reaper ha, is it that good?

Cheers guys.

I also use Reaper. Can't complain about anything MIDI related, but I don't have any comparison to other DAWs, I can only say that I'm fully satisfied.

I'm liking Reaper so far, actually easier than Logic but I'm still getting used to it.

Only thing I hate is that you can't have single Busses that are only shown in the mixer (or am I missing how to set that up?) also I have SD with multi outs and if I try and group them under Superior in a folder then they all mute... annoying.

How do I hide tracks so they only appear in the mixer??

Ha damn, I've got my kit in SD to sound pretty sweet when I actually click in the midi notes or press on the kit in the GUI. However when it comes to playing a full MIDI it sounds so thin... I have absolutely no idea what's up with it. I haven't got round to sticking comp/eq/reverb busses in the project for the kit yet but could someone take a look at the project if I dropbox it and tell me where it's going wrong??

Or even better if any of you use superior drummer 2.3 and have a project layout in Reaper with your drum setup you could post that would amazing.

Cheers.

I'm liking Reaper so far, actually easier than Logic but I'm still getting used to it.

Only thing I hate is that you can't have single Busses that are only shown in the mixer (or am I missing how to set that up?) also I have SD with multi outs and if I try and group them under Superior in a folder then they all mute... annoying.

you can choose to hide/show tracks in the mixer or track panel.

hidetracks.gif

^I AM NOT CLICKING FREEZE THERE, i was looking for an OK button.

you can choose to hide/show tracks in the mixer or track panel.

That isn't Logic 9, so I dunno how much it helps him. Logic has no similar function.

I'm not really sure what you mean. Aux tracks and busses are only shown in the mixer? If you're running SD2 as a muti-out instrument, your mixer setup should look a little similar to this, ala separate aux channels for whatever you want to separately mix and appropriate busses (running kontakt and other samples instead of SD2):
Vre65.jpg

You can also create an arrangement track from an aux track for automation, etc.

+1 haha

That isn't Logic 9, so I dunno how much it helps him. Logic has no similar function.

I'm not really sure what you mean. Aux tracks and busses are only shown in the mixer? If you're running SD2 as a muti-out instrument, your mixer setup should look a little similar to this, ala separate aux channels for whatever you want to separately mix and appropriate busses (running kontakt and other samples instead of SD2):
You can also create an arrangement track from an aux track for automation, etc.

Thanks Cory but I was on about doing it in Reaper :D I can work Logic nicely, just testing out a new DAW... probably gonna stick with Logic and if I ever need to use a VST desperately run the track through it in Reaper.