What DAW are you using with Revalver and EzDrummer

Reaper comes with decent effects, but no loops and only a couple of pretty uninspiring software synths. BUT IT'S ALSO 50 FREAKIN' DOLLARS, which lets you buy effects, loops, and synths that'll probably be better than the ones you'd get with another DAW, and more importantly gives you the choice of what to buy. And believe me, I was skeptical, but I've been using Cubase and PT for a long time and consider myself very good at both, and Reaper is not disappointing whatsoever.

Reaper comes with decent effects, but no loops and only a couple of pretty uninspiring software synths. BUT IT'S ALSO 50 FREAKIN' DOLLARS, which lets you buy effects, loops, and synths that'll probably be better than the ones you'd get with another DAW, and more importantly gives you the choice of what to buy. And believe me, I was skeptical, but I've been using Cubase and PT for a long time and consider myself very good at both, and Reaper is not disappointing whatsoever.

good point. i cant wait for reaper to be improved on mac osx! but really though, the instruments on logic are fuckin sick man!! anywhere from cheesy 80s synths to realistic classical instruments.

The whole reason why im asking this is because I've heard some very fantastic loud full mixes that were done with EZDrummer and Revalver. I need to be able to program stuff similar to that at home and I want to get the right stuff. Pro tools never quite gets the volume and openess in the mix with the shitty clock on the 002.

good results are possible with protools. it really comes down to the summing algorithm (summthin like that im a tard) of the daw (someone correct me if im wrong) every daw has very subtle differences in this respect. although the difference is quite minimal and only some "pros" claim to pick up on it.
summing is when all your tracks are combined and sent to the 2 bus.

basically all that means, is that your mixing techniques are what really need to be evaluated
the main reason for choice of daw is that you like the layout and the way the daw functions.
try adding compression/limiting to the 2 bus!

At risk of causing controversy.... what is complex about n+n = x ? DAW's do not have subtle differences in their summing algorithms, and you can prove that by doing summation tests easily enough.

I'd also question the validity of the statement: "Pro tools never quite gets the volume and openess in the mix with the shitty clock on the 002."

Since when did converter clocks have anything to do with volume, and since when did "openness" become something you could quantify?

Good results are possible with any DAW that supports 24bit bit-depths, and 44.1khz sample-rate - 88.2khz if you have plugins that alias quite a bit. 96khz is also a bit of a misnomer, as you don't really get much in the way of extra frequency headroom, and you could actually negatively affect your plugins because they'll have to do much more complex downsampling than at 88.2khz.

You can get good results with Pro Tools and a 002. The area you should be looking is between the keyboard and the chair - no offence intended.

Well which algorithms do they use? I don't need to know them all, just Cubase, Pro Tools, and Logic.... what summing algorithms do they use?

Also let me clarify my point, because it seems like people don't really understand what summing is. It isn't anything more complex than adding together signals for the final output - that's all it is! How many different ways can you do that?

At risk of causing controversy.... what is complex about n+n = x ? DAW's do not have subtle differences in their summing algorithms, and you can prove that by doing summation tests easily enough.

I'd also question the validity of the statement: "Pro tools never quite gets the volume and openess in the mix with the shitty clock on the 002."

Since when did converter clocks have anything to do with volume, and since when did "openness" become something you could quantify?

Good results are possible with any DAW that supports 24bit bit-depths, and 44.1khz sample-rate - 88.2khz if you have plugins that alias quite a bit. 96khz is also a bit of a misnomer, as you don't really get much in the way of extra frequency headroom, and you could actually negatively affect your plugins because they'll have to do much more complex downsampling than at 88.2khz.

You can get good results with Pro Tools and a 002. The area you should be looking is between the keyboard and the chair - no offence intended.

When i bounce a mix down on a tdm system vs. the 002 the stereo imaging is better. I will be more clear on my definition of "openess" i mean instrument separation. everything sounds mushed together on the 002 where as the TDM system things sound clearer and more defined and the stereo imaging is better. There are many that know the 002 system lacks a good d/a. it's filled with shitty components. There are companies that upgrade 002's to reduce jitter and thus making it possible to have a higher quality mix. I know how to use mastering plugs as well and I've heard plenty of people who have had issues with the 002.

The whole topic of this thread was to find out what people are using with Ez Drummer and Revalver. And it seems the answer is logic and cubase. I would like to use these programs based on the clips ive heard people post here.

Also let me clarify my point, because it seems like people don't really understand what summing is. It isn't anything more complex than adding together signals for the final output - that's all it is! How many different ways can you do that?

found this on the cakewalk site.

For the record, it is pretty easy to perform a null test (as long as you know exactly what you're doing) to compare DAWs, and they all null completely when used sensibly. If you really push the limits and try to force a project to reveal differences, then you might get microscopic variations down at like -132dB from a 32-bit fixed engine vs a 64-bit float engine, but nothing that is going to be audible in a real double-blind listening test. It's also worth mentioning that fixed-point engines are susceptible to intersample distortion if you were to run all your levels right up to 0dB, but again, in sensible real-world practice it's not going to make any difference, and cakewalk users have nothing to fear since they have 64-bit float, which is the best you can get anyway.

Digital audio engines are just performing mathematical operations, like a calculator. If you plug in 4+4 on your calculator and I plug in 4+4 on mine they should both always spit out 8, unless one is outright broken. The microscopic differences between fixed point and floating-point and 64-bit vs 32-bit are basically like calculators that have 80 decimal places instead of 60, or that chop off the decimals that won't fit vs rounding them. So for instance if you divide 2/3 in one, it might spit out 0.66666666666666666666666666667, and the other might spit out 0.666666666666666666666666666. Those are generally not meaningful audible differences, and they are certainly not the kind of across-the-board "better quality" that is implied in many debates.

any audible dif.: not really
a difference in algorithms?: definitely

look into things before you argue bra!
peace:headbang: