best daw for recording and mixing audio

Most of the DAW's do the same thing these days, there really isn't a best one.

Some good options that I've tried: Cubase (midi editor is fantastic), Studio One (really good overall workflow I find, it really has come far from its beginnings), Sonar (my friend swears by it, but has subscription now I think for updates, which isn't that bad if you never update your DAW anyway), Logic (haven't tried it much, just at a local studio here).

I personally use Reaper because like most people here, we started out just wanting to learn and thus, Reaper was the best option for a "free" (it's not actually free) DAW that wasn't crippled. But take your pick, honestly.

Seriously? What happened to everyone using Pro Tools? Does no one use that anymore?

I was convinced everyone switched over to Logic

I use protools all day but the reality is that (outside of specific use cases) any daw you can work quickly in is fine. Pt, raper, cubase, studio one and logic are all fine.
My main complaints with lots of the alternatives to PT are ease of compatibility with other studios and a somewhat loose approach to file management.

I don't think Steve is ever coming back.

There is no proper answer to this question anyway. I use Cubase 8.

I use protools all day but the reality is that (outside of specific use cases) any daw you can work quickly in is fine. Pt, raper, cubase, studio one and logic are all fine.
My main complaints with lots of the alternatives to PT are ease of compatibility with other studios and a somewhat loose approach to file management.

I use Pro Tools as well, and mainly for the fact that I'm constantly working in 3 other professional studios all set up with Pro Tools. There is no sane reason for me to switch to anything else, and I'm making money doing this for a living, so even though I hate it, it is worth it to me to have Pro Tools updated and functional. There's no way I'd be wanting to try and convert whole sessions over and over to work with multiple DAWS in multiple studios for one record.

Most projects I do are done in 2-3 environments. Having an external hard drive that I can just open up and start working in on any PT system is a necessity.