Synth that's worth the money

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
I want to buy a good VST synth that covers all the basic sounds (strings, organs, piano and so on) as well as ambient and rythm synth sounds. I was thinking about getting the new halion. Any other suggestions? I want an all round tool that's doing it's job.

i'd say, KOMPLETE 8, it's a bit pricey but it has everything what you are looking for.
on the other hand i kind of haate NI and i would not recommend anyone buying anything from them :D

Sylenth1 from Lennar Digital ftw. €140 and covers pretty much any sound you could want. You should try out the demo

this indeed is an awesome synth but it does a better job at electric sounds (great arpeggios, pads and lead sounds) and is not so convincing at emulating pianos, choirs or strings.

Another Omnisphere fan here , it is stupidly good .
Komplete by NI is a huge package one of the best buys I have ever made .

So omnisphere and komplete are the ones. I think I'm going for omnisphere. komplete 8 seems to be great but there is just a lot of stuff I really don't need.

Omnisphere is great and I use it a ton on all my songs. It is a 'jack of all trades' though so if you need really detailed strings, pianos etc. with tons of articulations you'll need separate packages for that. It also needs a good bit of carving in the mix, a lot of the sounds are very full spectrum so they sound huge alone but that ain't gonna work in an already busy progressive Metal mix!

I'd love to buy Omnisphere but that thing's three years old and the price hasn't gone down at all??

plus spectrasonics never seem to have any sort of price reductions. doing too well?

Spectrasonics has added a lot of extra content over the last few years (a few hundred patches, and new software features/controls), totally free for existing users... I think it's a great deal regardless.

on the other hand i kind of haate NI and i would not recommend anyone buying anything from them :D

Sorry about the derail but how come? I've been taking a gander at a lot of their stuff lately that looks really interesting, but I wouldn't want to support some company full of jerk-offs. :lol:

I'd love to buy Omnisphere but that thing's three years old and the price hasn't gone down at all??

plus spectrasonics never seem to have any sort of price reductions. doing too well?

No offence, but your comment kinda pisses me off. Spectrasoncs products are that good. Spectrasonics is constantly updating the software, patches and soundsource libraries free to paying customers!!! Seriously, who could ask for more and what other developers do that? Not to mention they always strive to make the best possible instruments possible, both from an audio quality, and an ease of use standpoint. Show them some respect. They deserve it.

No offence, but your comment kinda pisses me off. Spectrasoncs products are that good. Spectrasonics is constantly updating the software, patches and soundsource libraries free to paying customers!!! Seriously, who could ask for more and what other developers do that? Not to mention they always strive to make the best possible instruments possible, both from an audio quality, and an ease of use standpoint. Show them some respect. They deserve it.

well, i gotta say i didn't know that they keep updating the content instead of releasing Omnisphere 2, for example. in that case i'll understand - they don't have product lifecycles in the same manner as NI Komplete.

that's good but a little risky from a business standpoint - i'm sure i'm not the only person who thinks like i did - but Spectrasonics seem to have a steady foothold in the software instrument industry so it's all good.

Another vote for Omnisphere. While I am also a big fan of NI and Komplete/Maschine, Omnisphere is a complete MONSTER synth. Add to that Spectrasonics' great customer service, continual FREE updates, and REALLY nice challenge / response copy protection scheme, and you have a real winner. Stylus, Trillilan and Omnisphere are truly THAT good. Other companies would do well to take a lesson or 2 from Spectrasonics.

I will say, however, that their Mac software installers do suck balls to the n'th degree.

Bobby