Taking Maiden to the unbelievers

I would like an explaination of Elvis' hackdom from Blitzy

And I would like an explaination of Elvis' AND The Beatles talentness-es-es-ness hackdom from Haupy.

im going to give a detailed list of reasons for my opinion as i would just be shot down in flames anyway.

Im sticking by my opinion and if you dont like it just fuck off

I think perhaps you could do with a 2 week course at Tafe on how to deal with others Haupy :D ;)

Okie dokie. :)

I believe it was Spiff that said 'imagine an alternate world without Elvis, and see what the music scene would be like', well I totally agree with you. In this world, Elvis did alot for music and the evolution of music in the early days ect ect, but the reason I call him a hack is as follows. Imagine a world with no history of racism, and imagine what the music scene would be like. Completely different, and for one, no Elvis. Why? Because basically, he was the ""king"" of rock and roll because he could sing and dance like a black man, and sang the songs of black artists, but was more accepted because he was white. I remember seeing on a doco on Elvis I watched once, that they talked to the man who first signed Elvis way back when, and he said when he first saw/heard the man sing, he knew he would be a success because he sounded like a black man, and had the vocal talent and presence of a black man, but was white, so he could get on more commercial radio stations and tv ect. In my opinion, someone like Little Richard (whom I think was a much better singer) could have accomplished what Elvis did in a world with no racism.
So in short, what has Elvis done? Sung other peoples songs in a style that was already being used, and been labelled the 'king' of rock and roll, and that my friends, is why he is a hack. :)

Thank you for your input, Blitz. Although I do not agree with you, I believe that you are entitled to your opinion. I also appreciate the facts that you are willing to back up your opinion with well thought out reasons instead of making blanket statements and then telling people to fuck off when they are questioned.

I saw that interview (or at least one like it) as well, and for what it's worth, I would agree with you IF IT WAS TODAY. The thing that gets me about those types of arguments is that that was the way the world was 50 years ago. I'm not defending it, or saying that it was right, it's just the way it was.

Although now I'm thinking about it, that's exactly what Eminem is doing today. Except he writes his own songs. And admits that he's doing black peoples music. And he's a white guy doing it in a black guys world, so it's really kinda different. hmmm...

And you are entitled to your opinion. :)

While I can see the comparisons people make to Eminem, I think it is a totally different thing. Eminem isn't popular because he is a white man singing a black mans songs, he is popular because he is good at what he does and because of the shock value he gives. Also, there isn't as strong a presence of racism today, black artists can be pushed, but as for Elvis, he was pushed because he was imitating a black man, basically.

Note to self- never mention Elvis in a BB thread again. This was all my fault, ladies and gentlemen. Please feel free to shout at me now if you so wish.

I like The Beatles very much, but I have no time whatsoever for the late Mr Presley. He wouldn't have got anywhere without Carl Perkins or Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller.

Time I think for a strategically placed...

:)

W

Tabloids scream "Elvis seen at a shopping mall"
That's the kind of talk that makes my stomach crawl......
Pictures of Elvis in a tacky white jump suit
Imagine a rotting Elvis shopping for fresh fruit

You can't because Elvis is dead.....

Elvis was a good performer
On stage he was electrifying
When he got sick his fans got ill (or something)
And moaned when he had to die

He's been through the test, He's out of this mess
Be my guest and let him rest

A black man taught him how to sing
And then he was crowned king

etc etc and so on so on..................................

Originally posted by phlogiston
Thank you for your input, Blitz. Although I do not agree with you, I believe that you are entitled to your opinion. I also appreciate the facts that you are willing to back up your opinion with well thought out reasons instead of making blanket statements and then telling people to fuck off when they are questioned.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Haupassia
im going to give a detailed list of reasons for my opinion as i would just be shot down in flames anyway.

Im sticking by my opinion and if you dont like it just fuck off

The reason that you get shot down in flames is because you just make blanket statements without giving any reasons whatsoever. I don't think you'll find anyone here will begrudge you your opinions, but we will begrudge you behaving like a dick.