Talk me out of buying drum triggers

heshian46

Sep 1, 2009
Northwest Burbs of Chicago, IL
Im considering buying a set of triggers (specifically these) to aid in the editing/triggering process after drum tracking.

The reason being that im sick of drummers who play super light on fast double kick runs, or the same through quick tom fills. It makes it very difficult to work with in post. Slate Trigger is good, but does need massaging from time to time.

Am I right in thinking that throwing a trigger on drums along with a mic will help me? Or should I stop whining and deal with it.

Before I spend 200 bones, let me hear your thoughts.

Triggers can be very useful and they will aid the editing and sample replacing/augmenting.
Plus their original sound can be used to spice up the drumkit. :)

Buy Roland triggers.
I have a full set of broken DDrums with several replacement piezos put in.
My Rolands have been perfect and I have had them longer than I had the DDrums.

I've been down this road and back again. I love recording the signal from a roland kick trigger to trigger my kick samples from. I no long put triggers anywhere else on the kit. If im not going to replace the drum 100% im not a real big fan of trigger and mic combo because they will not be lined up in time with the mics so there is some phase issues that will have to be addressed, so for simplicity when im going to blend a sample with a mic I trigger from the mic, if im replacing the kick 100% I like to use the trigger. No rules though. I have had unique results using the trigger as the gate side chain. For me Im back to just using a kick trigger only. Feeding the kick trigger into the drummers headphones is a great way to get tight tracks.

Makes editing 100% easier especially on toms. Also perfect for side-chaining gates and comps. Do it.

Haven't used them in about 9 years, but then again, i've not done a lot of super heavy fast metals recently, and when I have , i create midi using DTM anyhow.

I've always seen the Ddrum Pros as the norm, but is the consensus that the Rolands are better (the RT-10K?).

I tried to help a buddy of mine setup his live setup. He bought a RT-10K and an Alesis SamplePad to trigger his kick and it wasn't triggering very well, even with the sensitivity way up. Who knows, it could've very well been the samplepad.

i always use my roland triggers on toms. a lot of drummer hit the toms like a little girl during fast tom-rolls, which makes editing them very difficult cause you cant really see the initial transient. they make editing so much easier and faster. if you want to replace the toms with samples, trigger tracks are such a huge time-saver. even if you just want to sidechain a gate with them, they save you a lot of time.
they have saved me countless hours, so the 200.- were a very very good investment!

yeah, they pickup little form the other shells and cymbals, but it's so low that it is really no problem. maybe pussy-blast-beats require some clean-up, but thats it.

I always record tom triggers and even if I don't use them to fire samples they are super handy for side chaining gates on the tom tracks.