Talkback setup in Pro Tools LE...

fade_2_black

Apr 11, 2006
www.keirlefoh.com
So, I have a 003 console version and up until now I have been using a spare 57 going into a spare pre on my 003 as a talkback setup to talk to the live room.
The 003 console doesnt have a talkback mic built in, and at this point in time I dont really have any other options - the only thing I know of is a monitor control (eg Mackie Big Knob) - which I would LOVE and have built in TB, but, in all honestly I have more or less everything I work from going through Pro Tools (patched in, etc) - so pretty much only one source - and at the moment, only one pair of monitors.. So its kinda hard to convince myself to spend at least $500 NZ on something that will only (aside from looking cool!) be used for talkback.. Pretty much the only other monitor control that looks half decent and has a built in talkback mic that I know of is the Samson C Control..
Anyone know of anything else I could use for a talkback system? Or perhaps, something DIY ??

Cheers!

I assume you're making your headphone mixes in pro tools using auxes. plug a mic in, make a track for it, then instead of it's output being the stereo bus, set it to whatever outputs you're using for the headphones mix (3-4 for example). DON'T FORGET TO MUTE IT WHEN YOU ARE TALKING SHIT ABOUT THE BAND.

Haha yeah, I have it sorted that way - thats how Ive been doing it for the last year.. But I mean - are there any pieces of hardware with built-in TB controls like the TB section on the Mackie Big Knob...

And yeah - very unfortunately I have forgotten to mute the talkback when talking shit about musicians in the past..... :s !!

At the moment the way Im doing it isnt too much of a problem - but would just prefer a setup similar to one on a larger console for convenience, etc.. I imagine there could be something DIY I could do - eg the HP outs from the 003 going through a DIY box with an integrated mic with on/off switch or something of the like - from which the output would go to the HP amp... I have no idea if this kinda thing would work but I might look into it and check it out..