Tarja 2009 USA Tour

YAY! mY WIFE....ER...tARJA IS COMING TO cHICAGO!

Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 at 04:10:10 EST

Former NIGHTWISH vocalist Tarja Turunen has announced a handful of live dates for Canada and the US. Online ticket pre-sales start today (October 28th). Confirmed shows are as follows:

April
29 - Fillmore (Irving Plaza) - New York, NY

May
1 - Le Medley - Montreal, QC
2 - Opera House - Toronto, ON
4 - House Of Blues - Chicago, IL
7 - Regency Center - San Francisco, CA
8 - House Of Blues - Los Angeles, CA
:worship:
PLEASE PLAY ATL!

:worship:
PLEASE PLAY ATL!
Not gonna happen. The only people involved in this tour (In the US) are LiveNation, GoldenVoices (Vegoose Festival, All Points West Festival) and HoB themselves. The guarantee is probably around $10-15K, and I doubt that Glenn or any promoter in Atlanta will part with that kind of money for someone with little presence in the US and only one real solo CD, regardless of who she was with in the past.

Not gonna happen. The only people involved in this tour (In the US) are LiveNation, GoldenVoices (Vegoose Festival, All Points West Festival) and HoB themselves. The guarantee is probably around $10-15K, and I doubt that Glenn or any promoter in Atlanta will part with that kind of money for someone with little presence in the US and only one real solo CD, regardless of who she was with in the past.
If I win the lottery soon, I WILL book Tarja to play Atlanta!:headbang:

You made your point. You can stop turning the thread into your personal hate rant.
One would think Tarja bitch slapped you personally.

You made your point. You can stop turning the thread into your personal hate rant.
One would think Tarja bitch slapped you personally.
Nothing to do with hate. I have zero respect for her after her interview (Which is still on my old computer in my closet) in Berlin in 2005. What I said in my last post was the TRUTH. Can you tell me any other reason why she would NOT play in a place like Atlanta, Dallas, Cleveland or even Vegas? Especially when you have very well respected promoters like Glenn and Nathan who would have PROBABLY taken a chance on her? The reason is one thing and one thing only which is very well documented: Their never-ending quest for maximum money, even if the sum is near ridiculous. Why do you think the ONLY people promoting this tour are people with deep pockets? Why do you think LiveNation and GoldenVoices are the ONLY independent promoters involved in this (HoB is promoting the shows at their own clubs)? Elementary, my dear Magius, they have the deepest pockets and are willing to take a hit to do Universal a favor.

To expand on this further, do you think she even wants to tour in the US? With only four cities, you must be kidding? Especially after her comment that called US facilities "really below standard"? She thought she was entitled to play in the biggest arenas like she did in Europe with Nightwish! Think of that? Wow! Then, where should legends like Jon Oliva, Matt Barlow or Fates Warning be playing? My God, If Tarja thought she should have played in arenas in the US, then Glenn should have booked the Georgia Dome for Jon Oliva!

If you REALLY want to get down to it, my problem with her is her sense of entitlement. If she thinks she is entitled to all the bells and whistles because she says so, then what is Eaolian and Division entitled to? Rick Pierpont and Odin's Court? Met-Al and KatV? Suspyre? Zandelle? Krucible? Outworld? Halcyon Way? These bands have to get on their hands and knees to be an opening act in small clubs. You've seen Eaolian and Rick Pierpont's posts on this board: "Buy your tix for so-and-so from us." Why do they have to do that to be an opening act in a small club? What are THEY entitled to? What about Kamelot? They are popular in Europe, but can't get arrested here. If Tarja thinks she should be playing major houses, where should they be playing? Giants Stadium? What about a legend like John Macaluso? One of the greatest drummers in the history of music? He plays in dives like Don Hill's in NYC. Kaosaur knows. He was there like I was last August when Johnny Mac was banging the skins with Until Destiny in that definition of the word "firetrap". What is he entitled to?

You want to go more into her sense of entitlement? As God is my witness, she said this in her interview in Berlin (Which was in English on audio, BTW)

"People say that I canceled the tour in America. For the record, I did not cancel those dates. I did not confirm them. So, how can I cancel what I did not confirm?"

Excuse me? Since when does a member of a band get to pick and choose the dates they will perform? Do you think any of the bands I mentioned would have tolerated something like this? I am not even going to go into the incident in Oslo. But, why don't you ask some of these bands that post here what would happen if one of their members pulled a stunt like Tarja did? I can guarantee you I know what their answer would be.

How about this one? Again, from her Berlin interview:

"There were several nights where the American promoters failed to feed us. If we did not sell out, we did not eat. Not one single bean."

Now, last I checked, Nightwish was fortunate to have TWO managers on tour: One for Nightwish, and one for Tarja. Now, if there was no meals, how come someone did not get on someone's ass to provide them. If you read their Hospitality rider correctly, their is NO fan requirement. In their rider, it specifically states "18 warm meals for NIGHTWISH + Crew". It goes on to say, "One Lacto-Ovo vegetarian meal for Jukka and one Diabetic meal for Tarja (No wheat/fruits/sugar.)" Now, if you have someone who has known stomach problems like Tarja does, you need to make sure they are taken care of. I have NEVER heard of a ticket or sales clause for a "national" headline act when it comes to meals. If any of you have, please correct me. But, if a meal was not provided, somebody needed to ask why? Either the managers failed in their jobs (which I seriously doubt, as one of them is married to Tarja), or Tarja is a bald-faced liar. You be the judge.

So, instead of respecting her fans, instead of letting us American see Nightwish in all its mighty glory and biting her tongue to do what every other bands that comes to America does, and touring the small clubs for us to get to know them better. To go into the one-horse towns to play. To give bands like KatV/Suspyre/Zandelle/Halcyon Way/ and the others I mentioned a break, she decides to not just destroy one American tour, but two. Now, when Nightwish is doing one of the classiest things I have ever seen, not only hanging out with the fans when Anette got sick when they could have easily gone back to Finland, but also rescheduling their tour to make up the dates canceled when it was public knowledge that there was not enough money to do it, here Tarja comes with a tour that she had no intentions of doing. She is doing it only to say, "Look at me! I was Nightwish! Nightwish is nothing without me!"

Magius, my good man, and I believe you are, you said it is as if Tarja personally bitch-slapped me. Well, let me say this: YOU'RE GODDAMNED RIGHT SHE DID! She bitch-slapped every American Nightwish fan with her comments and actions. She bitch-slapped you. She bitch-slapped AMBR. She bitch-slapped the membership of OSA. She bitch-slapped every American fan loyal to her with her actions. Now, She has the unmitigated gall to come back the same week our heroes are coming back for one reason and one reason only: To say to everyone "Look at me! Nightwish is nothing without me!"

Believe me, I am goddamned proud to be a Nightwish fan. I am goddamned proud of Tuomas Holopainen that he had the fortitude to choose one of the classiest acts and most down to earth people I've ever met in Anette Olzon. Is she the greatest singer? No. Is she good and competent and fills Nightwish's needs? A resounding YES! When it comes to Holopainen, I will buy anything he puts out even if is only available at the gates of Hell. I've paid top dollar to import some of his works with Nightwish that I could not get here. He is probably the finest living mastermind in metal. He could write for anyone from Tarja to Sanjaya, from Anette Olzon to William Hung, from Marco Hietala to Cloris Leachman and make it sound magical.

Too bad the former frontwoman learned nothing from him.

Thank you and good night.

Ray, I have come to know quite well what your opinion about Tarja and Marcelo is, but in all honesty, look at this clip from Tarja's concert about to start in Sofia, Bulgaria three nights ago on Wednesday Oct 28. The venue was sold out weeks ago, about 6000 tickets, quite pricey for the standard of living in that country. It looked the same in South America in August whe she toured there.

Do you think she really has to come tourig in the USA for audiences hardly 1000 people if she genuinely doesn't want to. She could stay home and save the trouble. And the money. You think anyone from Europe will make profit by coming over the Pond with gear, top musicians and crew for just a half dozen shows in those small venues. Don't think so.

The only thing I have to say about all of this, is Yes she did say she didn't need Nightwish, then I want to know why she has to sing Tuomas's songs, as she didn't write the music or the lyrics. She does need them, and always will. She is always referred to as Tarja "former frontwomen for NIGHTWISH". If those two thing don't point to needing Nightwish I don't what does.

Also strange, about the food thingy, as i have been friends with the band for awhile and have been backstage with them even with Tarja, there always seemed to be food enough not only for them but crew and support bands and friends.

St Enigma, yes she sells out 6000 seat venues in Sofia Bulgaria, well so does Nighwish. Why can't she sell out the same here, and for that matter why can't Nightwish? you know the answer to that, and it's the music industry here, and they way it is run here in the states.

Yes I am a huge Nightwish fan and will travel to the ends to see them preform here, If Tarja was still with them we would still travel to see them. It's not about the singer, its the music, the members of the band.

Ray, I have come to know quite well what your opinion about Tarja and Marcelo is, but in all honesty, look at this clip from Tarja's concert about to start in Sofia, Bulgaria three nights ago on Wednesday Oct 28. The venue was sold out weeks ago, about 6000 tickets, quite pricey for the standard of living in that country. It looked the same in South America in August whe she toured there.

Do you think she really has to come tourig in the USA for audiences hardly 1000 people if she genuinely doesn't want to. She could stay home and save the trouble. And the money. You think anyone from Europe will make profit by coming over the Pond with gear, top musicians and crew for just a half dozen shows in those small venues. Don't think so.

she's not on the same Level Nightwish was, not yet anyway.. in Brazil she didn't even get 3000 people in ANY of the shows..
NW is playing 2 nights in Sao Paulo in a 6500-Capacity venue... And Nightwish has twice as many dates....

Petri, I love ya, man. I respect what you say. However, you and I both know the truth to this. Universal pointed the proverbial gun to her head. They spent truckloads of money to push her CD early on here. They have not come anywhere close to getting back their investment. As with her tour, I will say it again: There are two well respected promoters in Glenn and Nathan (SwordLord) on this board who would have PROBABLY taken the chance to book her. Why did they not get the chance? One word: Money.

Regarding Marcelo: I go back and forth with him. Basically, he is a schmuck and a sycophant. Yes, he does his job as a manager. But, his job as a manager is to keep his charge happy. This is why I blame her more than him.

The only thing I have to say about all of this, is...
It was just an argument on a plane with Tuomas back in Dec 2004 when Tarja said those infamous words which later seem to have gotten a life of their own out of the actual context. Obviously they sting, because Tuomas had to bring it public in the dismissal letter.
She propbly didn't have the career of a rockstar on top of her mind back then, rather her aim was on the classical side. Then again, she had told the band that "this is will be the last CD with Nw for me" every time since making Wishmaster, yet she (or was it Marcelo?) always changed her mind.

The lack of food-incidents happened on their first tour back in 2004 at certain very small venues (not going to name any) which didn't have any facilities for the performers at backstage. Actually some of those were so tiny they didn't have a backstage at all and Tarja had to pee behind the trashcans at the back alley. :p She never forgot those crappy joints and it turned out to be the big issue why she refused to return in similar venues on the 2005 tour (and the fact she didn't want to go promoting Nw for "too little money" when she was about to leave the band after Once-tour anyway).

About the US music/entertaiment industry; everyone knows it's a consortium as near a trust as legally possible. There's no way for any artist to make it big in the USA without access to the nationwide airwaves. For foreigners it'll be next to impossible.

And I happily agree with you: It's the music that counts :headbang:

she's not on the same Level Nightwish was, not yet anyway...
Not yet, but those are not bad numbers for the first solo tour after one released CD for anyone. The sales of her sophomore CD will show the genuine trend for her solo career. Nw is an estblished band after all these years, they will keep growing steady.

Petri, I love ya, man. I respect...
I'm quite sure Tarja doesn't even dream of making money on this mini-tour. Universal needs to pull some more strings if they want her gain growing success in the USA. She's got all the potential, though. This tour is all just scanning the market and playing it secure in few big cities where she has a fanbase. These things take their time and there's no guarantee for success.

Marcelo then; he has gained a "reputation" in South America for his business style and it echoed to the European scene through some well-known European metalbands who cut co-operation with his companies due the "cultural differences" as referred by Tuomas in the infamous letter.

I got bored with the whole Nightwish and Tarja thing a long time ago. I have all of NW's discs and Tarja's new one, so I've done my part. I remain a fan of both entities, case closed. o_O

~Brian~

I got bored with the whole Nightwish and Tarja thing a long time ago. I have all of NW's discs and Tarja's new one, so I've done my part. I remain a fan of both entities, case closed. o_O

~Brian~

That's the way I feel about it as well. Yeah, there was drama. Yeah, some things happened that shouldn't have. But that's not my business to get all up-in-arms about cause I wasn't involved in any way. Really, the only way this affected me is that it's two bands putting out music I like now instead of one.

Think about all the drama within bands we love that we DON'T know about?!?!? Sure, this dirty laundry was made public. Same with bands like Strato, etc.

There are plenty of bands who have undisclosed inner turmoil.

The Blabbermouth reports usually read:
BAND X and DRUMMER Y have chosen to part ways. Each site musical difference as the primary cause. BAND X wishes DRUMMER Y the best in future projects, etc.

What this really means is:
DRUMMER Y has yet to make rehearsal on time.
DRUMMER Y is always drunk.
DRUMMER Y keeps hitting on the wife of GUITARIST C.
DRUMMER Y kept saying, "Hey guys, let's try some of MY songs"