Tarja Booted from Nightwish

Evil?

omghaxlol!1
Jun 25, 2005
Grand Haven, MI
I know some of you are nightwish fans and I thought you would like to read this if you havn't already.

Dear Tarja,
It`s time to choose whether the story of Nightwish ends here or whether it will still continue an undetermined period of time. We`ve been working with this creation for 9 years and we are not ready to give up yet. Nightwish is a way of life, something to live for, and we`re certain we can`t let it go.

Equally certain is the fact that we cannot go on with you and Marcelo any longer. During the last year something sad happened, which I`ve been going over in my head every single day, morning and night. Your attitude and behavior don`t go with Nightwish anymore. There are characteristics I would never have believed to see in my old dear friend.
People who don`t talk with each other for a year do not belong in the same band.

We are involved in an industry where the business-side of things is a necessary evil and something to worry about all the time. We are also a band which has always done music from the heart, because of friendship and the music itself. The mental satisfaction should always be more important than money! Nightwish is a band, it`s an emotion.
To you, unfortunately, business, money, and things that have nothing to do with those emotions have become much more important. You feel that you have sacrificed yourself and your musical career for Nightwish, rather than thinking what it has given to you.
This attitude was clearly shown to me in the two things you said to me in an airplane in Toronto: ”I don`t need Nightwish anymore.” and ”Remember, Tuomas, that I could leave this band at any time, giving you only one day`s warning in advance”.
I can`t simply write any more songs for you to sing.

You have said yourself that you are merely a ”guest musician” in Nightwish. Now that visit ends and we will continue Nightwish with a new female vocalist.
We`re sure this is an equally big relief to you as it is for us. We have all been feeling bad long enough.

You told us that no matter what, the next Nightwish album will be your last one. However, the rest of us want to continue as long as the fire burns. So there`s no sense in doing that next album with you, either.
The four of us have been going over this situation countless times and we have realized that this is the thing we want to do in life. It´s all we can do. In December 2004, in Germany, you said that you will never tour again for more than two weeks at a time. You also said that we can forget about U.S. and Australia because the fees and the sizes of venues are too small.

In interviews I`ve mentioned that if Tarja leaves, that would be the end of the band. I understand that people will think this way. Nightwish is, however, a scenery of my soul and I`m not ready to let go because of one person. A person who wants to focus her creativity to somewhere else, a person whose values don`t match mine.

We were never bothered by the fact that you didn`t participate in writing/arranging songs, you never in 9 years came to rehearse the songs with us before going to the studio. Not the fact that while on tour you always wanted to fly, separately from us with your husband. Not the fact that you are an undisputable front image of the band.
We accepted and felt ok about everything except greed, underestimating the fans, and breaking promises. It was agreed by the five of us that Nightwish would be the priority in everything that we do during 2004-2005. Still so many things were more important to you. The ultimate example being the already sold-out show in Oslo, which you wanted to cancel because you needed to rehearse for your solo concerts, meet frieds and go to the movies. Those were the words Marcelo used in an e-mail explaining the cancellation. This being just one example of so many. I couldn`t think of a worse way of being selfish and dismissing our fans.

Nightwish is a way of life and a job with many obligations. To each other and to the fans. With you we can`t take care of those duties anymore.

Deep within we don`t know which one of you drove us to this point. Somehow Marcelo has changed you from the lovely girl you were into a diva, who doesn`t think or act the way she used to. You are too sure of your irreplaceableness and status.

It`s obvious that you blame your stress and misery on us four. And you think we don`t respect or listen to you. Belive us; We have always had the uppermost respect towards you as a wonderful vocalist and as a friend. And very often during the past couple of years the plans were made according to your decisions only. You were always the only one who wanted more money from the shows.
This ”compensation and more money from everything” –attitude is the fact that we are most disappointed of!

We wish that from now on you will listen to your heart instead of Marcelo. Cultural differences combined with greed, opportunism and love is a dangerous combination. Do not wither yourself.

This decision is not something we are especially proud of but you gave us no choice. The gap between us is too wide. And the decision is made by us four unanimously. We are beyond the point where things could be settled by talking.

All the best for your life and career,

Tuomas

Emppu Jukka Marco

Ps. This is an open letter for everybody.

I think it's pathetic to fire someone via a "public letter". Tuomas should've just said it straight to her face instead of all this internet drama. But I guess we Finns like to make things complicated (remember the Strato-circus). The tabloids are just loving the situation here and I think this even made the news on tv. I mean, after all it's just a band and it's made to look like a major national disaster.

If she really wasn't into the band 100%, she deserved the boot. I'm sure Nightwish doesn't have any problems finding a replacement, just make sure the new chick is into metal as well as opera.

And make sure the next album contains some Oceanborn'y metal riffs too.:cool:

that makes me quite sad...i completely understand the position of the Nightwish guys, but i must say it saddens me to see Tarja depart after all this time.

it almost angers me to see what I remember Tarja being like, the atmosphere they had within the band, and before i read this letter...from reading updates, watching attitude at live concerts, cancelled things/scheduling, i had noticed a slowly decline in how much i new of Tarja, a real shame it is.

now, although mentioned they shouldnt have posted it on the internet, in the same token, i think the fans deserve it. i, as a fan, and as a band member, always felt (there are some exceptions) but that the fans deserve to be told what's going on...other than the "our music is going different ways" line.

i love nightwish, and respect their decission, but i do still respect Tarja, there always 2 sides to a story. best of luck to her, but let's get back to Nightwish!! new singer auditions, and a new album!! yes, yes!!! best wishes to the guys in the band, and the thanks for all the wonderful years, and those to come. :headbang:

Old news, I'm only mildly saddened, Tarja was hot five years ago, and watch both of their musical careers plummit. If they had a decent bassist playing all those bass lines that that band loved to use, I may have entertained the thought of suicide.

Dodens Grav said:
I hate vastly drawn out, public band disputes like this. It absolutely sickens me. Why do they ridicule her so badly to the public eye to completely destroy her image and then wish her the best of luck. That's really disgusting
It would be disgusting if the band had any sort of value at all. Now, though, it's absolutely hilarious. Tarja's reply letter on her website is comedy gold as well

Erik said:
It would be disgusting if the band had any sort of value at all. Now, though, it's absolutely hilarious. Tarja's reply letter on her website is comedy gold as well

Can you give us a link, I'd like to read it. If it is true that she didn't rehearse with them and flew in seperate planes, I can understand their decision.

She just did what any woman does: act like she's completely shocked about the accusations and speak as if she never did any of the things they said she did.

I'm in the camp with those who don't believe dirty laundry should be aired in public. Rather than an "open" letter, to Tarja, I think they should have fired her privately and then write a more generic press release and send to media outlets. I thought the letter was way too personal against Tarja. Sure, some of it may have been true, but there is no need to attack publicly like that. Always sever the head cleanly!

That said, I don't think this is the end of the world either way. Tarja was already working on a solo career, and the songwriters are still intact in Nightwish. They'll likely get a new singer similar in style to Tarja, and then move on.

I like Nightwish alot, and I'll be looking forward to hearing what their next album will sound like without Tarja. I'll be checking out Tarja's solo stuff as well.

NP: Styx - Wooden Nickel Recordings

I'm glad they publicly announced this. I know it stirs up shit, but speaking as a fan, I would much rather know their reasons other than the widely used "creative differences" reason. When you have two parties arguing like this, you usually get different twists to the story. But in this case, when Nightwish makes accusations such as wanting to cancel a huge sold out show for selfish reasons, and not participating in songwriting at all, I don't think there's much to twist around.

#1_Droogie said:
I'm glad they publicly announced this. I know it stirs up shit, but speaking as a fan, I would much rather know their reasons other than the widely used "creative differences" reason.
Granted, the way they did it was much more entertaining and interesting from a fan's point of view. That may be a good thing, and could very well be "why" Tuamos chose this approach, as it ultimately serves as publicity.

That's not how I would have done it though. Higher Road.

NP: Russell Allen's Atomic Soul

metal paddy said:
nightwish rock best album wish master

Indeed mate!

And taking from there the official Wyvern rant about the whole affair:

1. I had seen one of my favorite bands which I followed since the debut falling from grace more and more since "Wishmaster". The last album is boring, unoriginal and Nioghtwish sound like another goth band of the bunch
  2. Tarja vocals have increasingly lost operatic quality whcih to me was the whole point of the band. Frankly the rest of the musicians are average to sub-par IMO, so the vocals was the spirit of the band.
  3. Tuomas said more than once that cannot be Nightwsih without Tarja and now voilá!, the old open letter boot.
  4. This is not be the first nor the will be the last band to separate a member, but they could have done with either style and respect (like Maiden did with Clive Burr) or with a low profile (like Priest did with Halford in 91). Instead they want a soap opera and bad blood crossing both ways.
Again we still have the early albums, my only regret now is not to have seen them live back in the day when I got a chance.

metal paddy said:
I LOVE TARJA:worship: :worship: HER VOCALS ARE WICKED

I am with you! That is the main reason why I liked Nightwish... their music is pretty good, but Tarja is the killer deal in the band IMO.

Pabla said:
I am with you! That is the main reason why I liked Nightwish... their music is pretty good, but Tarja is the killer deal in the band IMO.

Ditto. But again that was for me up to "Century Child", I feel her vocals failed in "Once".

Wyvern said:
Ditto. But again that was for me up to "Century Child", I feel her vocals failed in "Once".

Yes... but I still like her vocals on Once... specialy "Ghost love score" I think that track is just overall amazing.... gives me chills :worship:

EVERLOSTINDEADETERNITY said:
Yeah me too.Id drink her bath water.

I don't mind l...forget it there are ladies in the room, but to drink soapy water :yuk: