tchad blake and parallel distortion

watched pensado's place the other day with tchad blake. he's always been a guy who has a ton of tricks up his sleeve but churns out incredible and varied work.

in the interview he really hit home home how important distortion is. he's working ITB a lot these days too, basically never uses a reverb.

since using devil loc on a parallel track for snare, its become a total revelation. It brings out the room characteristics, more ring, and more low end, basically what I'd usually rely on blending in samples for. as soon as I mute the distortion track the snare goes back to sounding way smaller.

It's a really great tip, and works especially well when combined with trigger 2's gate. for sections with ghost notes its brilliant for emphasising those too.

and if you think you loved sansamps, check this out: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-tchad-blake/114845-sansamp-questions.html

One time Michael Wagener posted this clip of his "drum room mic" and it was this crazy ambient, distorted pumping goodness. It turned out it was the built in mic on his laptop or something hilarious. Devil Loc, the SSL listen mic comp (free I think) and the little radiator all do cool stuff. On an aside, I know some guys here hate GS but I can't stress enough how amazing some of their guest Q+A stuff is. Seriously, if you haven't go read them!

the Q&A section is the nuts. i think the eric valentine and tchad blake ones are the best I've read, sylvia massey came across really well on hers too.

devil loc does insane things to the snare that I can't get enough of, but when its really quiet underneath. makes it ridiculously huge in a kind of exaggerated way. I use little radiator a lot too, but I really need to grab decapitator.....

I have to pick up the full version of devil lock. Tchad is the man, i love his work with Tom waits and Soul Coughing. I stumbled on his GS q a thing maybe a week ago but didn't realize he was on Pensados place, I'll definitely have to check that out.

I use TSE 808 with ReaGate and VCC RC Tube red lined. The tone knob on the 808 works as EQ on the snare wires. Blended in gives the snare a lot of snap so the direct snare buss (top + bottom) only needs to be slightly mixed in to the room channel for a good snare sound. If it sounds a bit too try / flat, some medium room reverb (valhalla) blended up opens it up and adds more sparkle.