TD20 to DFHS - Hi hat sounds terrible. Please HELP!

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
I also posted at Toontrack's site but I'm just looking for any help where I can get it.

My friend has a Roland TD20 Vdrum set and we're using it to trigger DFHS on my PC. All the drums are being tracked great except for the hi-hats. They sound completely unusable at this point. We did a test where he hit the hi hat with 16th notes and opened and closed the pedal slowly to see how the tracking would go. There seems to be a huge jump between open and closed samples, mistriggers everywhere and just sounds like a joke.

Is there additional setup we need to do in the TD20 brain to better prepare the midi output into DFHS?

Thanks for any help out there!

don't know if it helps but check these threads on the vdrum forum
http://www.vdrums.com/forum/search.php?searchid=453635

link seems dead i copied and pasted it maybe you tried this already
anyways...

Step 1: Download the 1.4.4 or newer (as of this post) Drumkit From Hell Superior patch/fix from www.toontrack.com and install.

Step 2: Download the latest E-drums template pack from the same place as above, and unzip the file somewhere on your computer. (You have to register your DFHS first, then you can login to the place to download updates). The best IMHO drum map to start with is "[default] TD-3 (SnareFX - RideEdge&Split).dfh" (TD-3 = your module instead).

Step 3: Load up DFHS and when it asks about pad configuration, hit load. Then browse to that folder that you just unzipped that has all the e-drum templates in it, and there's a folder with the drum maps of every Roland TD-series in it. Pick it, load it.

Step 4: From the Construct Window (where you pick your drums), click the little drop down arrow next to "Drumkit Presets" and select "EDRUMS." Now load up whatever drums you want...etc...

Step 5: Here's the part where ya need to pay attention if you haven't already figured out the hi hats thing already:
As you are configuring your superpads, select the hi hat superpad. The only pads/subpads that you need to configure to have full open to close of the hi hats are the following:

Closed Pedal
hatsCtrl
hatsTrig

Select the Closed Pedal sub-pad, hit the L button next to it, and press down on your pedal itself. Ok, now that part is learned.
Now Select hatsCtrl sub-pad, and the key should be "CC4." If it's not, then you need to make it CC4.
Select hatstrig and hit the L button........hit your HI HAT PAD for this one. DO NOT fuss with any of the open 1, open 2, open 3, etc etc positions, as the CC4 will control it for you! Hellz yeah!

Oh yeah, there is also a "hatsTipTrig" that you can configure also, since the hi hat pad itself is dual zoned.

THATS IT. Don't fuss with any hi hat settings besides the ones listed above, as those other settings are used for when you don't have a v drums set or a CC04 controller and want to trigger that stuff.

It sounds like DFHS is only reading the hits as the designated GM hats (open/closed) and not the other hat hits available on the DFHS drum map.