Technical death bands with awesome melodies??

Dec 3, 2008
Hello. Boy I haven't posted here in a long time :D

I've been listening to more and more death metal, I really love it now. I like bands like Kalmah and Ensiferum because of the awesome melodies. The melodies really change my mood when I listen to them. If it's a more upbeat one, I suddenly feel happy, if it's a more tragic melody, like Old Man, i instantly feel sad. If it's a darker melody, I'm very moody.

HOWEVER, after meeting my neighbor in my new college dorm, who is a HUGE progressive metal fan, but who doesn't like death b/c of the vocal style, I've decided to take a look at some technical death metal bands. I'm absolutely loving the insanely fast work, and all the random time changes and out of the ordinary complexity in the music.

However, it still feels like it lacks melodies, which I LOVE.

Does anybody know of any bands with awesome melodies, that still have all the quickness and musical complexity that technical death bands do?

I know of Wintersun, and they're really good...but I wouldn't really call them anywhere close to technical death....just a mix of a lot of other good things.

Anyways, thanks, you'd be helping me a lot if you could think of some of the bands I'm looking for :D

I'd have to say give Necrophagist a try, because the solos that Suicmez pulls off are extremely melodic..

However the songs in general are not very melodic in comparison to Ensiferum or Kalmah..

Tech death and melodic death are generally somewhat exclusive of each other, but technical melodic death metal does exist, it's just a bit harder to find.

Unfortunately, I don't have my playlist on this computer so I can't run a genre search, and I was only able to come up with two possibilities.

Arsis (USA - Technical Melodic Death Metal)
Amogh Symphony (India - Progressive Symphonic Metal [with Ethnic Influence])

Yeah the melodic stuff you listen to is really on the far edge of Melodeath, you are borderlining Folk influences, which is ALL-melody..whereas techdeath is much more focused on the rhythmic aspect...I spose you could check out Nile..guess you could call them Technical Death metal due to their highly complex songwriting..and they do incorporate Egyptian-themed melodies in many of their songs..which is fucking badass

Fuck, how could i forget;

Carcariass - Killing Process
Carcariass - Sideral Torment
Carcariass - (Ex)tinction
Carcariass somehow manage to craft great songs out of 6 minute guitar solos :lol::lol:

Also;

Element - Aeons Past

The Plasmarifle - While You Were Sleeping, The World Changed In An Instant
The Plasmarifle - The Apocalypse Called In Sick... Can I Take A Message
(Kind of avant-garde tech-death with some grooves/mellodies)

Psycroptic - (Ob)Servant
Atheist - Get all 3 albums
Nocturnus - The Key, Thresholds

I don't listen to much tech death besides Gorguts and Atheist. The second I find to be quite melodic.