Technical Death Metal

I got reminded of another insane band by listening to them this morning.

Descend Into Nothingness - Darkened Reality

Pretty brutal and technical death metal.

really? When I saw them live I didn't think they were anything special. In fact I remember thinking they sucked pretty bad. They seemed to be a lot more flirting with melodic death then brutal or technical death metal.

But maybe it's a new cd and it's better then what I saw which was at least 1-2 years ago (I suck with dates)...

really? When I saw them live I didn't think they were anything special. In fact I remember thinking they sucked pretty bad. They seemed to be a lot more flirting with melodic death then brutal or technical death metal.

But maybe it's a new cd and it's better then what I saw which was at least 1-2 years ago (I suck with dates)...

Darkened Reality is their only release, besides a very new (Sept. 07) EP which I haven't heard. So they were probably mostly playing material from Darkened Reality. Yeah, they mix it up pretty well and definitely have some technical arrangements and are mostly very brutal. In one or two songs they incorporate some drumming patterns that, though not new, seem to appear in new places. So far I have only given it one good listen where I was mostly paying attention. Before that I was less impressed, but since then I like them quite a bit more.

This paragraph is what got me interested in them:

The concept of Descend Into Nothingness was created by Joël St-Amant during the year 1998. The principle idea of the band is to make music that is very intense and melodic, with a touch of unpredictability and a constant progression of rhythms that change during each song, creating many dynamic variations.

I'll try to listen to them again. Maybe they just weren't very good live or it's just because I had never heard a lot of their material before.

This is very modern stuff, and it of course sounds VERY Canadian. Breakdowns, pointless technicality, overtriggered drums. It's decent though.

I finished the whole album, pretty good actually...some real emotion buried within the crazy over-extremity. Not a GREAT one, but something I'll listen to now and then.

The concept of Descend Into Nothingness was created by Joël St-Amant during the year 1998. The principle idea of the band is to make music that is very intense and melodic, with a touch of unpredictability and a constant progression of rhythms that change during each song, creating many dynamic variations.

Translation: we're poutine-scarfing hicks with no understanding of the basic concept of music, so, instead, we'll make spastic gimmicky bullshit to impress the fags who like Lykathea Aflame.

'Big words' don't make a lyricist articulate - using complex language in complex ways to create coherently meaningful poetry is. Slayer remains one of the most lyrically sophisticated bands in metal, and Araya has always been a major player in that.

Clarity of message or not, his "poetry" is unrelentingly juvenile and one-dimensional. His songs are endless nihilist bleating about Satan, Nazis, gang warfare, and serial killers. There is no social commentary, or metaphor on the meaning of life, beyond a vague worship of militarism and a phallic obsession with firearms.

Who said this is about the use of 'black' musical elements? 'Wigger' is an attitude, a deeply underconfident self-loathing that issues forth in an inarticulate, inauthentic and superficial aping of black mannerisms.

Black mannerisms? Did anyone in Faith No More ever speak street jive? Did they wear flair pants, high-top fades, or Marithe Francois Girbaud jackets? Do their interviews depict them eating spare ribs or fried chicken with waffles?

No. The only black thing about FNM were their use of rap and funk elements (wich date back to Chuck Mosley's tenure in the band, and Mosley was black). I assume by placing the word "black" in quote marks, you are implying that these musical styles are not even black in origin. Are you an ANUS.com member?

Clarity of message or not, his "poetry" is unrelentingly juvenile and one-dimensional. His songs are endless nihilist bleating about Satan, Nazis, gang warfare, and serial killers. There is no social commentary, or metaphor on the meaning of life, beyond a vague worship of militarism and a phallic obsession with firearms.

If you fail to grasp the fact that violence is the master metaphor of Slayer, rather than an end in itself, then interpretation is clearly something you should stay away from, as you lack the intellectual insight for it.

Black mannerisms? Did anyone in Faith No More ever speak street jive? Did they wear flair pants, high-top fades, or Marithe Francois Girbaud jackets? Do their interviews depict them eating spare ribs or fried chicken with waffles?

Patton's stage banter has always been laced with black dialect and phony badass posturing drawn straight from the burgeoning gangsta scene of the early 1990s (when he's not making chicken noises or other similarly spastic bullshit).

No. The only black thing about FNM were their use of rap and funk elements (wich date back to Chuck Mosley's tenure in the band, and Mosley was black).

Or rather, painfully white interpretations thereof... It's got all the cultural authenticity of "Red Red Wine."

I assume by placing the word "black" in quote marks, you are implying that these musical styles are not even black in origin.

I'm setting 'black' in quotes to indicate:

A.) the patently superficial nature of their inclusion

and

B.) the almost inconceivably white interpretations of black music in Faith No More's catalog - an effect not unlike that of a frat boy trying to play along to a Bob Marley record.