pestilence-testimony of the ancients & spheres
brutality - screams of anguish
gorguts - all
cynic - focus
atheist - all
nocturnus - the key & thresholds
demilich - nespithe (crappy vocals..)
sadist - tribe & above the light

assuming that you've listened to death,morbid angel,immolation etc...start with these...you'll really wont need smth else..
Thanks!
However, I wouldn't agree that Demilich has crappy vocals. I think they are really unique and interesting.

Welterwerk is indeed a master album of technical blackened death metal. So damned good!

RE: Demilich's vocals...keep trying, you will eventually come to find that the odd, bizarre, macabre vocals definitely fit in with the odd, macabre, bizarre riff writing and song structures!

I still don't understand why people are so bothered by Demilich's vocals. I never had a problem with them.

Leaving aside the fact that even early Death is not overwhelmingly important historically or artistically, the later Death releases (you know, the albums DiGiorgio participated in) are pure AIDS, as is Control Denied.

I'm not gonna start another argument about how important Death were, even though I strenuously disagree with you, but I agree that DiGiorgio is over-rated. I've never been impressed by anything he did with Iced Earth for example.

Though they are not really death metal, I will mention a band that is worthy of mention:

Sore Plexus

They are a strange quirky kind of band. I suppose technical progressive metal could categorize them. I would consider them to be in or near the extreme metal category, because they do have some speed and utilize distortion a lot. It's tough to describe them, but maybe a heavier and more spazzed out Psychotic Waltz. The vocals are a kind of warbley clean tone. They are pretty strange, but fit the music well, if you don't mind something unconventional. They are more progressive than technical, I think, and they manage to actually create songs and not just wankery.

I think they are no longer together.

They put out:

Visual Agnosia (EP)
HaPTePHObiC (full length)

I'll plan on getting both Illocicist, then.

I don't have Internal Complexity yet :cry:

The two Illogicist albums differ quite a lot though. The first one is more tamed like umm, like Gorod for example. The drumming isn't impressive, the production is duller than the new one.

The new one has pretty unbelievable drumming. The production is more modernized and it is better in my opinion. The song structures have changed, and it has more switch ups.

Kinda like Symmbolic vs. Sound of Perseverance... Depends what you like better.