Technical & Progressive Thrash Metal thread

HeavyGabry

A poser in disguise
Oct 12, 2012
Italy
Matthew told that all of us can open new threads... so I was thinking about this one! :D
We all know bands such as Watchtower, Toxik and Coroner... but what about less famous bands, who never came out of local underground or - more luckily - a continental scene?
I'd like to start with a band from my country, Broken Glazz.
Two albums, some Funky elements inside and - of course - a lot of technical stuff. Second album "Withdraw From Reality" now is very easy to find (recently reissued), the first one only on vinyl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Аспид (Aspid) from Russia was a pretty cool proggy thrash band. Their "Кровоизлияние" (Extravasation) album is definitely worth looking up! It was remastered and reissued by ant[ICON] Laboratories/Stigmartyr Records in 2007.

"Extravasation" is one of the albums I'm really proud to have in my collection... still can't explain to myself how these guys composed such a bomb in the ex-USSR.
Their bass player was in another great band too, Crownear...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxmIsJ-McNI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxmIsJ-McNI[/ame]

Heres a newer band that some may or may not know, alot of younger kids are familiar with them. This is off their 2nd album that came out this year (and went unnoticed because it was released by an Asian label that many release death metal). Their main lead guitarist Ronny Dorian shreds up an insane technical storm, and is so modest about it. This new album really takes a much more prog/tech edge over their debut. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORRX9xqW3A&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Thanks guys for starting this thread, loving it! Someone mentioned Aspid to me before. Loved it. Still trying to find a cd. :(

That's because Stygmartyr Records doesn't exist anymore and the warehouse left was taken by this label.
But it looks like there are no more copies available now. What a pity. :(

This is one i have been after for awhile. The guitarist and I have been chatting, but he is wanting to remix the album (I think it still rocks as is). He is on hunt for original session reels, but not sure what will come of it. I have had the album remastered already and have told him it's good to go on my end. So we shall see, luckily I am patient person when it comes to my label.

I absolutely agree on Dyoxen! I have the original cd but I'd defintely buy a reissue of that one! People often say small children are a danger to any record collection. That particular Dyoxen disc is the only piece in my collection ruined by my daughter who chewed on the booklet as a baby. Still haven't forgiven her for that.... :yell:

The last part's obviously a joke :p

People often say small children are a danger to any record collection. That particular Dyoxen disc is the only piece in my collection ruined by my daughter who chewed on the booklet as a baby.

Noooooooo, you must have had a mini-heart attack! :OMG:
Two years ago I was lucky to find a sealed copy in a store but this is definitely one of the classics that need a reissue...! The title speaks the truth! :D

Another great Russian band from that era is VALKYRIA. Their S/T LP from 1993 is quite enjoyable keyboard-laden techno-thrash with bizarre Engrish vokills. The band is still active, but they play industrial nowadays.

Hunt the vinyl. The cd is obvious bootleg - no band involvement in the "booklet" and the audio is bad vinyl rip with tons of pops/clicks...

The Stygmartyr reissue was official, never seen a vinyl around... :confused:
However, Valkyria's first album was amazing, and Era too (I didn't know them, thanks!) sound great... staying in Russia, we have also End Zone and Trizna. (I wouldn't advice Trizna's last album, it's very weak)

For me it's all about Toxik, Realm, Depressive Age, Aspid, Deathrow, Hexenhaus, Voivod, Coroner, Bitter End, Intruder and D.B.C..
Iam still alittle bit a newb in that genre some suggestions would be good.
I think there are many more bands who are tagged with the definition "technical" but sometimes it's really difficult to say.
Is Megadeth technical or just Melodic Thrash?? Same would go for Annihilator.. like said too fuckin many bands.

For me it's all about Toxik, Realm, Depressive Age, Aspid, Deathrow, Voivod, Coroner, Bitter End, Intruder and D.B.C..
Iam still alittle bit a newb in that genre some suggestions would be good.
I think there are many more bands who are tagged with the definition "technical" but sometimes it's really difficult to say.
Is Megadeth technical or just Melodic Thrash?? Same would go for Annihilator.. like said too fuckin many bands.

Totally agree about Megadeth, for Annihilator, Forbidden, Dark Angel and so on we could say they're "borderline", not enough classical and not totally into technical.
Stay tuned and you'll find a lot of bands here. :cool:

By the way, Brazilian label Urubuz Records has reissued "Psycho Savant" by Intruder... sent a mail to Metal Blade and they told me it's 100% legal.

Totally agree about Megadeth, for Annihilator, Forbidden, Dark Angel and so on we could say they're "borderline", not enough classical and not totally into technical.
Stay tuned and you'll find a lot of bands here. :cool:

By the way, Brazilian label Urubuz Records has reissued "Psycho Savant" by Intruder... sent a mail to Metal Blade and they told me it's 100% legal.

yeah I only have 'A Higher Form of Killing' (original Roadracer version) which is fuckin killer! I absolutely love that album. I listened to the other stuff from Intruder (also Psycho Savant) but couldn't really get into it that much. May have another listen. Thanks for the recommendation anyway!

I think Forbidden's first album is straight-forward Thrash, their follow up Twisted Into Form is definitly progressive Thrash but I never considered Forbidden as a technical Thrash Metal band anyhow.

The Stygmartyr reissue was official

I tend to disagree. The label claimed it is official, but the product clearly stated otherwise: the release was clearly made only with materials extracted from the LP sleeve, and there were no liner notes and/or other materials provided by the band to indicate their involvement.

Also the audio is direct vinyl rip without even bothering to clean the pops and clicks... I was so disappointed when my box arrived.

It is a good thing the dude put Stygmartyr to rest and started a new label. Hopefully the bootlegging was put to rest with the old label too.

I tend to disagree. The label claimed it is official, but the product clearly stated otherwise: the release was clearly made only with materials extracted from the LP sleeve, and there were no liner notes and/or other materials provided by the band to indicate their involvement.

Also the audio is direct vinyl rip without even bothering to clean the pops and clicks... I was so disappointed when my box arrived.

It is a good thing the dude put Stygmartyr to rest and started a new label. Hopefully the bootlegging was put to rest with the old label too.

Same could be said of my CYCLONE TEMPLE reissue. None of them had any pictures or anything. Most I got out of them was partial interview and Carlos did great working an essay up from that. Not all bands contribute despite given green light to the deal. ;)