Technical Songs

May 24, 2003
Texas
Visit site
I'm bored....and interested in taking somebody up on a challenge they made, sooo...everybody interested list any songs that you can think of that are really technical, or at least very technical when it comes to guitar playing, but preferably all-around technical songs that take alot of work. Metal songs of course. Waiting to hear some songs. :D

Heh, I'll give a bit more detail. A friend basically told me to find the most hard to play song I can and her band can learn it....seeing as she's only an average guitarist and still said this, I'm not pulling any punches. :D

Blade Golem said:
Heh, I'll give a bit more detail. A friend basically told me to find the most hard to play song I can and her band can learn it....seeing as she's only an average guitarist and still said this, I'm not pulling any punches. :D
HAHA sure....

Try telling her to play anything by Cryptopsy from Whisper Supremacy or And Then You'll Beg.... some good choices would be "Cold Hate, Warm Blood" or "We Bleed"....

Or maybe some Death? How about "Scavenger of Human Sorrow"?

The list can go on and on....

Sunlapse Vertigo said:
Try telling her to play anything by Cryptopsy from Whisper Supremacy or And Then You'll Beg.... some good choices would be "Cold Hate, Warm Blood" or "We Bleed"....

Those were the first three songs I thought of. Weird coincidence...

Also, how about Metropolis Part 1 or Erotomania, both by Dream Theater, or The Grudge by Tool, or The Leper Affinity by Opeth, or Death Blooms by Mudvayne?

Much as I love Mudvayne anonymous, they don't belong in this thread. My guitaring friend has been learning guitar for about 2 and a half years and although admittedly talented, listened to Death Blooms twice and then played the whole thing through just like that.

They're not very technical concerning guitars.

SunlapseVertigo said:
HAHA sure....

The list can go on and on....

Heh, I was just listening to that death album yesterday, and knew I was going to suggest at least one song off of there. I also told her to try Painkiller by Judas Priest, it's not THE most technically demanding song, but hey...I can guarantee you the drummer will be fucking winded if they manage to pull that one off, at the very least. Although, seeing as when they do their own gig, they're planning to play a bunch of Chevelle and Taproot covers, because that's stuff they can learn to play......:lol:

Don't give her later Death, it's surprisingly easy to play on guitar. Their Human stuff was more demanding, particularly on the right hand (I'm sure she'll have trouble keeping up with the right hand if she's used to playing Taproot).

I would second (or third?) the recommendation for Theory in Practice. Also try Martyr: Virtual Emotions, Endless Vortex Towards Ending Destiny, and Speechless will do nicely.

I have to agree with the Cryptopsy, Sceptic, Spawn of Possession, Theory In Practice, Cephalic Carnage, Necrophagist and Gorguts.

I wish to add Psycroptic and Meshuggah to the list.

try(metal and nonmetal):

watchtower-control and resistance
spiral architect-a skeptic universe
meshuggah-destroy erase improve
ruins-tzomborgha
sleepytime gorilla museum-grand opening and closing
jonas hellborg,shawn lane,jeff sipe-temporary analogue of paradise
king crimson-the construction of light
tool-lateralus
allan holdsworth-(everything he have recorded!)

:)

Blade Golem said:
I'm bored....and interested in taking somebody up on a challenge they made, sooo...everybody interested list any songs that you can think of that are really technical, or at least very technical when it comes to guitar playing, but preferably all-around technical songs that take alot of work. Metal songs of course. Waiting to hear some songs. :D
Blade, whatever song they decide on, make sure it's recorded, I could use a good laugh.

As far as some songs try Spiral Architect(make sure the bassist turns up the volume a notch so he can be heard), Theory In Practice, Symphony X(tell your friend she should play the solos EXACT), some Suffocation stuff, and maybe "The Dance of Eternity" by Dream Theater.

Well, the immediate song that came to me was Metropolis, Pt. 1 by Dream Theater.

Another I thought of was 'Chaos' by Ayreon