Technical vs Progressive Metal

technical is just that, technically inclined music. A lot of bands play highly technical stuff but their music isn't progressive/doesn't progress. But most bands that are progressive are also highly skilled and play some very technical stuff.

Origin is mainly a straight up technical band....

Progressive tech-death ...

Here is Gorod doing both...
tech death ...

progressive tech death...

see how the second song from each of those examples actually progresses?

Reactions: CiG
Simplest differentiation is that prog metal takes after prog rock bands stylistically, while tech metal is just metal with lots of difficult-to-play stuff.

Reactions: Sophii
Simplest differentiation is that prog metal takes after prog rock bands stylistically
not true. A shit load of progressive death metal bands have zero ties to progressive rock outside of you know, their music progressing.

edit: well if you're strictly talking about the subgenre of prog metal than i guess so. Just to be clear, most prog metal is trash.

not true. A shit load of progressive death metal bands have zero ties to progressive rock outside of you know, their music progressing.

edit: well if you're strictly talking about the subgenre of prog metal than i guess so. Just to be clear, most prog metal is trash.

Define "music progressing"

wtf, are you serious? Its when a track builds and goes different places and most of the time blurs boundaries of different styles. Also, stop asking me this kind of nonsense dude.

A lot of metal does that though. A lot of thrash (meaning Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Dark Angel, not even talking about prog-thrash proper) is progressive by this definition.

yes and a lot of metal is also technical, does that make them technical thrash, technical death metal etc? Is Deathspell Omega technical black metal? Man talking to you about stuff like this is like talking to a 16 year old sped.

BUT LOOK ITS TECHNICAL SO THAT MEANS ITS TECH DEATH OR TECH THRASH. LOOK A SONG THAT BUILDS UP MEANS ITS PROGRESSIVE. :lol: what a moron.

yes and a lot of metal is also technical, does that make them technical thrash, technical death metal etc? Is Deathspell Omega technical black metal? Man talking to you about stuff like this is like talking to a 16 year old sped.

BUT LOOK ITS TECHNICAL SO THAT MEANS ITS TECH DEATH OR TECH THRASH. LOOK A SONG THAT BUILDS UP MEANS ITS PROGRESSIVE. :lol: what a moron.

I clearly said progressive, not technical. "Technical" has a clearer definition than "progressive", the latter of which I'm trying to extract a sensible meaning from you.

is Rust in Peace progressive thrash metal to you? Some Metallica albums definitely have progressive elements, but not enough to warrant a "progressive thrash metal" tag. Closest one is AJFA. They also have some pretty technical stuff too ... would it be enough to warrant a technical thrash tag?

edit: @hbb

is Rust in Peace progressive thrash metal to you? Some Metallica albums definitely have progressive elements, but not enough to warrant a "progressive thrash metal" tag. Closest one is AJFA. They also have some pretty technical stuff too ... would it be enough to warrant a technical thrash tag?

edit: @hbb

I don't know. I'm asking you for the definition. Going by your definition, I would say the first four Megadeth albums are all progressive in that they all feature many songs with atypical structure, and change style a fair amount. Arguably they're all technical as well. By that definition, I'd say Metallica is at least somewhat prog, at least in that they lack to use bridge sections that are stylistically divergent from the main bodies of their songs. Some of their stuff seems pretty technical too.

I don't know. I'm asking you for the definition. Going by your definition, I would say the first four Megadeth albums are all progressive in that they all feature many songs with atypical structure, and change style a fair amount. Arguably they're all technical as well. By that definition, I'd say Metallica is at least somewhat prog, at least in that they lack to use bridge sections that are stylistically divergent from the main bodies of their songs. Some of their stuff seems pretty technical too.
so you say that those songs progressively build up and keep going different places or are you just having a hard time putting together what you read from my posts again dude?

And yes dude, i know some of their stuff is technical ... i think i even indicated that numerous times already. wow dude.

so you say that those songs progressively build up and keep going different places or are you just having a hard time putting together what you read from my posts again dude?

And yes dude, i know some of their stuff is technical ... i think i even indicated that numerous times already. wow dude.

I clearly said so. You never said anything about Megadeth in this thread until I had.

Again, reading comprehension. We're discussing whether or not Megadeth is progressive. Using your definition, I would argue that they were a progressive thrash metal band on their first four albums.

are you retarded? this thread literally started from the Megadeth conversation in the new guys thread. but again, you're having trouble following conversations. Get help dude.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/definitive-songs-of-sub-genres.1440087/#post-11809151

I would argue that they were a progressive thrash metal band on their first four albums.
again, are you saying that the music on KIMB for example progressively builds up, goes different places and blurs the line between numerous different genres of music? :lol: dont use my definition incorrectly you mentally handicapped waste of sperm