Technical vs Progressive Metal

@Allfader you probably dont listen to Obscura much, they've been labeled/are a progressive/technical death metal band for years now. And most of Cannibal Corpse's discog doesnt even fall under technical death metal either, just a few of their later albums. Most of their early work is just generic straight forward death metal. And did you just imply that Necrophagist and Obscura dont have complex compositions? Dude :lol:

... the guy is an engineer for BMW now, lol. The most talented guys he played with (Christian Muenzner and Hannes Grossmann) went to Obscura and eventually started doing their own thing. You can hear Necrophagist in all the bands they played with.

Reactions: Sophii
I didnt know Obscura directly came from Necrophagist, thats cool!

I know some of the guys went and toured as part of Pestilence at some point. Or it coulda just been their bassist, I dunno.

After listening to Anticosmic Overload as a reference point, I really do hear the Necrophagist influence

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
wtf, are you serious? Its when a track builds and goes different places and most of the time blurs boundaries of different styles. Also, stop asking me this kind of nonsense dude.
That's a pretty awful definition of "progressive". Prog rock didn't start simply cause bands wanted to have progressive song structures. It started cause the bands wanted to experiment with rock and progress the genre as a whole. "Progressive" in this sense should be a synonym for "experimental", and not in insular terms of song structure, but in terms of experimenting with the genre the progressive band is a part of. King Crimson weren't simply attempting to progress their song structures, they were attempting to progress rock as a whole. If you're simply "progressing" your song structures then you're "progressive" in a very banal kind of way.

@Allfader you probably dont listen to Obscura much, they've been labeled/are a progressive/technical death metal band for years now. And most of Cannibal Corpse's discog doesnt even fall under technical death metal either, just a few of their later albums. Most of their early work is just generic straight forward death metal. And did you just imply that Necrophagist and Obscura dont have complex compositions? Dude :lol:
Necrophagist is not progressive, it's technical.

I mentioned Cannibal Corpse because they were probably the first ones playing in that style, which without a doubt was technical on early 90's. Obscura has progressive elements too and maybe their latter albums are more prog than technical, but I would say that the first 2 albums at least are technical death metal.

Do you agree with the difference I mentioned?

Necrophagist is not progressive, it's technical.

I mentioned Cannibal Corpse because they were probably the first ones playing in that style, which without a doubt was technical on early 90's. Obscura has progressive elements too and maybe their latter albums are more prog than technical, but I would say that the first 2 albums at least are technical death metal.

Do you agree with the difference I mentioned?
Did i once say that Necrophagist were progressive? I clearly referred to you saying that they dont have complex compositions, which is just an absurd thing to say. What im getting is that you're implying that technical death metal doesnt contain have complex compositions, which is 100% incorrect.

And i disagree with your assessment of early Cannibal Corpse. Most death metal is and was technical in comparison to other music.... so what you're saying there makes no sense really. Nothing they were doing with their early albums was as technical as say Atheist, Nocturnus, Death etc. They were generic by the books standard death metal dude.

That's a pretty awful definition of "progressive". Prog rock didn't start simply cause bands wanted to have progressive song structures. It started cause the bands wanted to experiment with rock and progress the genre as a whole. "Progressive" in this sense should be a synonym for "experimental", and not in insular terms of song structure, but in terms of experimenting with the genre the progressive band is a part of. King Crimson weren't simply attempting to progress their song structures, they were attempting to progress rock as a whole. If you're simply "progressing" your song structures then you're "progressive" in a very banal kind of way.
songs, albums, and even the bands as a whole dude. Call it "awful" or whatever you want, but its literally the definition of progressive music. Maybe you misread/didnt understand my post? thats what im kind of getting form your response, im not sure

songs, albums, and even the bands as a whole dude. Call it "awful" or whatever you want, but its literally the definition of progressive music. Maybe you misread/didnt understand my post? thats what im kind of getting form your response, im not sure
Possibly, but progressive isn't necessarily about progressing the band but about progressing music in general. Pretty big distinction.

when i say progressing their songs, albums and even the bands .. that doesn't sound like them trying to basically progress "the music"? Ummm, ok.
Not really. You make it sound like a pretty insular thing that doesn't apply to music as a whole. As if progressive bands are just trying to perfect their craft rather than contribute to music in a greater sense.

Is The Batlord an alt? He gave me alty vibes when he was around and his comeback is auspicious. Not that there's anything wrong with that.