Techwood Drive to close tomorrow

J-Man

Old as Yoda
Jan 11, 2005
Texas
I just say this in the Atlanta Journal Constitution. How will this effect anyone staying at the Marriott on Techwood.

DOT contractors are scheduled to shut down Techwood Drive, a north-south access road beside the connector.

Techwood will close from 16th Street to 10th Street, and with it the southbound ramps from I-75 and I-85 to 14th and 10th streets. For drivers heading south from I-85, the beginning of the ramp will still be open to exit to 17th Street. From I-75, DOT says southbound drivers technically still can exit onto 16th Street, but the small streets could be such a mess they should forget about it, and exit at Northside Drive.

The 14th Street bridge itself will close altogether, but later this spring.

I recall talking with someone that worked at Residence that the bridge would be closing, and you will have to travel down and around to get to the venue (whatever route that means!).

Well, I plan to take the Sunday prior to the festival to figure my route, so if anyone wants me to post the ways around, let me know. Otherwise, ask me. At this point, I haven't heard anything about 17th street closing, and there is a means of walking that way, that I already know of.

Get ready for Techwood closures

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/stories/2008/01/26/detour0126.html

Southbound motorists on Ga. 400 in north Fulton County are being warned about detours that will affect their entry to Midtown starting Feb. 9.

The state Department of Transportation has installed electronic billboards on southbound Ga. 400. Signs advise motorists to prepare for the Feb. 9 closure of Techwood Drive.

When Techwood Drive is closed, motorists will have to use detours to get into Midtown. Detours will affect southbound motorists on both I-85 and I-75. Detours will be in effect until summer 2009, the DOT said.

The DOT recommends these alternative routes:

Southbound traffic on I-85 that previously used exits for 10th and 14th streets can exit at 17th Street. Drivers then can head east toward Spring Street to get to Midtown and other locations.

Southbound traffic on I-75 that previously used those ramps should exit at Northside Drive, turn south and then left on 10th Street.

Techwood Drive is being closed as part of the replacement of the 14th Street bridge and related improvements along the Connector. Demolition of the existing bridge is to begin in March.

The work is designed to improve traffic flow along the Connector in Midtown. In addition to building a wider bridge, the DOT is building two exit ramps along the Connector. One ramp will serve southbound traffic exiting to 10th Street. The second will serve northbound motorists and exit to 17th Street.

The DOT warns drivers to expect delays during the bridge work. At times, lanes on the Connector will be shifted and traffic will be paced. Construction is not permitted during bad weather and on designated holiday weekends. Work is to be complete May 31, 2010, DOT spokeswoman Katina Lear said.

"People have known about it, but it's starting to kick off now," Lear said

This shall prove interesting for us staying at the Courtyard this fall! :ill: