The Official PPUSA 24-hour Restaurant Thread

Did anyone else get sick due to eating at one of these late night/24hr resturants? And spewing chunks because you drank too much doesn't count! :p

My friends/roomies and I would probably go to the Chinese Buddha, but I'd also like to try that Korean BBQ (I've never had Korean BBQ before) place, one of those nights, as well. Who would go with me (I'm not the one that will have driven up, so I won't be able to drive)? My friends/roomies are meat and "PO-TA-TOES" kind of guys and wouldn't go unless they were assured a "Happy Ending" after their meal! :D

Wandrail said:
Well, I can think of some others...

The Majestic Diner:
Follow the link above to get info. like directions, but this is a 24 hour diner that is pretty cheap. The food is good...well, good for predictable diner fare, and it isn't very far from the venue.

The Majestic on Ponce? Granted, it is a bit of a local legend, but I wouldn't recommend to my friends. Not if I wanted to keep them, anyway. :)

Marietta Diner
You have to go up I-75 almost to 285, but its really not that far from the venue...at least not if you're used to Atlanta, where many sorry souls commute for 2 hours to work every morning and evening (not me, thank God).

Err, it's farther than that. Per the CitySearch map it's actually north of the Big Chicken, which is 6 miles beyond I-285. Heck, it looks like it's at Whitewater, which doesn't seem right.

I think they're combat-equivalent to City Cafe anyway, based on several reports on their menu, including yours. :)

Boob said:
So, the consensus is that, if you don't have a car, and you're staying at the RI, then you're screwed after hours unless you're sober enough to walk to Chinese Buddha? :)

Well, yeah, unless you make friends with me or Ruthven or someone else who knows the area and who has a car. :D

Locust0311 said:
The OK Cafe across the street from Steak N Shake at least used to be 24 hrs, not sure if it still is. More of a sit down type place. Good shakes though, lots of variety.

I was wondering about that m'self when I was typing up the Stake 'n' Sheik listing*. I was at that S'n'S recently at night and didn't notice a lot of light or activity at the OK Cafe. Well, heck, if it's only 'OK' maybe we can aspire to better fare. :tickled:

Ruthven said:
Chinese Buddha is great. The image of Roy Khan sitting on the curb outside a 24 hour Chinese restaurant is burned into my mind.

That WAS a bit...unexpected. :) I'm trying to remember all the bands who have eaten there after the night's festivites. Rage, Conception, Blind Guardian I think....

-=-=-=-=-
* hmmmm...like Medieval Times, but you get to skewer Ay-rabs? :D

ReaLM said:
Gay Denny's is now Gay City Cafe (although for any place in that part of town or in midtown "gay" should be assumed by now). Also, think the other Denny's is gone too.

Robin

Geez, move away from a city for 5 years and everything changes! ;)

So, the consensus is that, if you don't have a car, and you're staying at the RI, then you're screwed after hours unless you're sober enough to walk to Chinese Buddha?

There's a Kroger's near the Super 8. I just picked up some non-perishables from there for after the show.

Do what I do and pack granola bars and bagels in your suitcase!

Then when late night munchies occur, you've got something, but aren't overloading your system.

Per the CitySearch map it's actually north of the Big Chicken, which is 6 miles beyond I-285.

why not just kill the Big Chicken and eat it? There's gotta be enough meat there for 10-12 people.

Let me offer up again one of the many Dave's Tips For Surviving Prog Power - Residence Inn Version: Before the show, head over to the Subway that's on the next block, get a sub, and store it in the fridge in your room. That way, whenever you stagger back to your room after the show, you'll have something to eat!

One of the reasons I like where PP is held is that it does not require the rental of a car. One less thing I have to deal with during the weekend. Yeah, the food choices are somewhat limited, but between Madison Grill, Subway and some other random places, decent food can be found within walking distance. It could be way worse, like the first year of RoSFest, where there were no good places in town, and we ended up driving a half hour to Friendly's. Twice.

Of course, will anything ever beat the godly BBQ place that was in the same parking lot as the place where Powermad was held? I think not. We still go over there occasionally to get food...

dt

Pellaz said:
I was wondering about that m'self when I was typing up the Stake 'n' Sheik listing*. I was at that S'n'S recently at night and didn't notice a lot of light or activity at the OK Cafe. Well, heck, if it's only 'OK' maybe we can aspire to better fare.

According to City Search, the OK cafe now closes at Midnight on Fridays and Saturdays, so it's a no-go for the Progpower crowd.

Nate

Unca Kev said:
My friends/roomies and I would probably go to the Chinese Buddha, but I'd also like to try that Korean BBQ (I've never had Korean BBQ before) place, one of those nights, as well. Who would go with me (I'm not the one that will have driven up, so I won't be able to drive)? My friends/roomies are meat and "PO-TA-TOES" kind of guys and wouldn't go unless they were assured a "Happy Ending" after their meal! :D

I wouldn't mind trying to get up a group of people to go either Wed. or Thurs. night... Esp. as a counter to the crowd that goes to the Cheetah...

Robin

Speaking of barbecues...there are some good Mongolian barbecues -- plus Chinese buffets, but the barbecue is what makes these places special -- in Atlanta, including ones that are near I-75 and I-85 on the northside. If anyone's interested, email me and I'll fill you in.

I tend to forget about that Kroger, because it's relatively new. It's on Peachtree Street (same road that the RI is on, north and west of the hotels and the venue, just across the bridge over I-85 and across from the Amtrak station). There's also a Border's -- Ruthven and I call it the 'pocket Borders,' since it's like a mini-store -- in the same shopping center. Like most Kroger supermarkets, it's open 24 hours.

I would like to get a group of people together either Friday or saturday for lunch and go to "The Varsity". Anyone up for it???? Or if we have a car as i am from that area originally and my MOM still lives in Lagrange Ga, maybe surprise her and have her cook us some good southern vittles.

Pellaz said:
Speaking of barbecues...there are some good Mongolian barbecues -- plus Chinese buffets, but the barbecue is what makes these places special -- in Atlanta, including ones that are near I-75 and I-85 on the northside. If anyone's interested, email me and I'll fill you in.

Mongolian Barbecue? In Atlanta? Where? I must know!

Nate

I've seen that Mongolian BBQ as well the past years that I've been attending PP. I'd be interested in that as well. Are there any good Southern style BBQs around the RI/Earthlink area? If so, I could do a different BBQ each night! :headbang: Not to mention I know that my friends/roomies would go for that!

Yeah we've gone to that Kroger at least a couple of times or so to stock up on beer, water (very neccessary drinkin' every night), food, etc... It's great that it's not far from the RI (driving wise, although I know that I seen some PP lookin' people walking to and from there, so it must be near enough to some hotel) and it's good to know that it is 24 hrs as well. I know that we had been there after PP hours, but I wasn't sure how late it was open (no Kroger's in South FL).

I know that when we were getting lanyards, for our Gold Badges, at an Office Depot or Office Max (I forget which it was, but it was on the south side of Peachtree St., going west from the RI), we saw a Panera Bread (which we call Pantera Bread :D ), in the same plaza. They're not open late, but I hear that their potato soup kicks ass, so you can pick some up earlier, in the day, and stick it in the fridge, and then microwave it later in your room, after PP.

ReaLM said:
I wouldn't mind trying to get up a group of people to go either Wed. or Thurs. night... Esp. as a counter to the crowd that goes to the Cheetah...

Robin
I won't be up there on Wed, but I will be there on Thurs. Anyone else up for Thursday night, as well?

Pellaz said:
The Majestic on Ponce? Granted, it is a bit of a local legend, but I wouldn't recommend to my friends. Not if I wanted to keep them, anyway. :)

Err, it's farther than that. Per the CitySearch map it's actually north of the Big Chicken, which is 6 miles beyond I-285. Heck, it looks like it's at Whitewater, which doesn't seem right.

I think they're combat-equivalent to City Cafe anyway, based on several reports on their menu, including yours. :)
Out of necessity i've eaten at the Majestic a couple times, and it always seemed okay to me, about like I would expect from a Diner. Also, on the few occasions I went there, it didn't seem nearly as homo as I had been led to believe, but that was probably just due to my good luck...which otherwise is non-existent? :err:

As far as Marietta Diner goes, I think you're right and I'm being dyslexic - if you're coming from Atlanta, you would have to go just a minute or two past 285 on I-75, so you're probably talking more like 20-25 minutes from the venue. I'd say more like 20 at that time of night though - no traffic. The source of my dyslexia is that I live in Canton and the farthest south I have ever lived is Woodstock, so I am always going south...

Marietta Diner is pretty decent as far as that type of food goes. I like that you can get a Veal Sandwich there.

Wandrail said:
Out of necessity i've eaten at the Majestic a couple times, and it always seemed okay to me, about like I would expect from a Diner. Also, on the few occasions I went there, it didn't seem nearly as homo as I had been led to believe, but that was probably just due to my good luck...

No, no, it isn't a majorly gay establishment, but it tends to attract a fairly poor clientele. The food actually isn't that bad (I was kidding) and sometimes we've stopped there to eat after a late night at Little 5 Points, since it's one of the closest 24-hour eateries to L5P.

kunphyooshus said:
Mongolian Barbecue? In Atlanta? Where? I must know!

My personal favorite is Jade Palace, on US41 just north of I-285 in Smyrna (it's literally at the top of the first hill on the right). $10.46 including tax and a drink. The buffet is okay, the Mongolian barbecue is great. They officially close at 10pm but the owner? manager? lady told me it's best to get there by 9:15 since they've been known to start shutting down early if it's really slow.

The other ones that I know of are called "Super Grand Buffet" -- there's one on Pleasant Hill Road about a mile east of I-85, and one in Fayetteville on the south side of Atlanta. Much larger buffet with a lot of non-Asian choices ("ah yes, pizza and tacos, ancient Chinese secret...") and really good Mongolian barbecue. About $12 including a drink. They've also been known to have fresh sushi made to your specs.

Have a buck handy to tip the 'Mongolian man' after he finishes cooking your food. :D

Unca Kev said:
Anyone else up for Thursday night, as well?

Sure, after the pre-party's over, I guess....

Panera Bread (which we call Pantera Bread)

It's a statutory requirement for metalheads to do so. It's the Law. I did it earlier tonight m'self. :D

Pellaz said:
It's a statutory requirement for metalheads to do so. It's the Law. I did it earlier tonight m'self. :D
I believe that Supreme Metal Council ruled on that unanamously and was signed into law by Geezer Butler himself! But seriously, I wonder if Panera Corporate knows that metalheads do that? They should have a hot, spicy, hearty bowl of "RE...SPECT...WALK" soup on the menu! And for guys like Boob and J-Dubya the "Five Minutes Alone" cheese danish! :p

Unca Kev said:
I won't be up there on Wed, but I will be there on Thurs. Anyone else up for Thursday night, as well?
I get in Thursday at 12 noon, and i am staying at the RI so i am up for anything, just got to make sure my roomies are all there. So whatever you plan Kev, COUNT ME IN.

Pyramaze51 said:
I get in Thursday at 12 noon, and i am staying at the RI so i am up for anything, just got to make sure my roomies are all there. So whatever you plan Kev, COUNT ME IN.
Cool! Sounds like we got quite a group (several people so far) goin' now! Anyone else? Sounds like we're gonna PWN that place! :D