Techy-Death Metal - DOAR

CJWall

Oct 21, 2005
Southwest Florida, USA
About a year ago, I mixed this band's 3 song demo and it was one of the first paying gigs I got. It's kind of cool to hear their progression as a band as well as my progression as a mixer.

http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/cjwall/DOAR - Ghosts of Sparta MASTER-01.mp3

I didn't track/produce any of this, strictly mixed and mastered. All tracked through a Mackie Onyx board w/it's on-board pre's.

The whole thing was actually quite a challenge. I kept second guessing myself on everything and may have tried *too* many new ideas/concepts instead of sticking to my usual methods. Needless to say, I lost my objectivity mid-way through.

Either way, I got through and I'm mildly pleased with the result.

Guitars are just two tracks reamped through my rig: OD820 - ENGL FB - Marshall Cab with GT's and V30's in an X-Pattern. The DI's sounded like they weren't actually recorded through a real DI, as if the guitar was plugged into a line in or something. Not sure about that, either way it made re-amping quite the challenge.

I actually got the V30's midway through me mixing and experimented for hours and hours trying to get a tone I liked. Nothing matched the aggresiveness that the GT's had for this stuff, so... that's what you're hearing.

Guess I need to give the V30's more time :)

Let me know what you dudes think!

Quit nice! allthough overheads are a bit loud at times, maybe a bit in the way of the high end of the guitars, something is bothering eachother or something.
But next that the guitarsound i cool man! nice and agressive like the Gor stuff! i think the band will probably be satisfied!

I'd say leave it this way and move on the next project! haha

I agree Seiz! I've decided to just move on, haha. I'll come back to it once they finish the rest of the songs.

In light of this experience, I also ordered a bunch of bass traps for my room! Fuck guessing.

:)

BTW, the OH's were terrible sounding. Sooo brittle and had a very small stereo image. I think they were done using some really cheap Audix SDC's.

Hell yeah! Sounds tight! Too bad they didn't record the overheads better.
They sound really strange to me. Really fizzy and unclear and the high end is a bit annoying. Otherwise it's fuckin great. Maybe you should cut some high end from the OH's or just bring them down a bit.

Hell yeah! Sounds tight! Too bad they didn't record the overheads better.
They sound really strange to me. Really fizzy and unclear and the high end is a bit annoying. Otherwise it's fuckin great. Maybe you should cut some high end from the OH's or just bring them down a bit.

Thanks dudes.

Dude, tell me about it. When I heard the raw OH's I knew I was fucked. They have this crazy ringing resonant shit sound to them (all this was tracked in an 12x18 bedroom w/8 ft. ceilings or so) which I'm sure doesn't help.

I'll def. make a note of cutting the high-end on the OH's AND possibly trim the whole lot down (automation and all).

Thanks dudes, really makes me feel better about the whole thing. I've been depressed as hell throughout trying to mix this just because of the challenges :)

I think it's a bit too loud and it's also clipping at certain moments. Kick @ 3:27 sounds too machinegun-like.

+1 on the OHs but otherwise very good work.