Techy Progressive Metal Track to Criticize

captainganj

New Metal Member
Mar 18, 2010
hey guys,

This is actually my first post haha:)

this is a really rough scratch track of a new project i'm working on, i tracked the guitars myself in Amplitube 3 and the drums are Superior 2. haha, theres almost nothing about this mix i like, but it would be really great to get some opinions.

http://soundcloud.com/black-dalton/scratch-track-1

IMO technically speaking it's great.

Not sure about the production though. The kick sounds like my mother hitting cockroaches with her slipper) In general, the sound is very thin. Enough stuff to work on.

You might want to try some different amp/mic combos.

Also, you might want to try adjusting the preamp a little, or using the EQ a bit more to fine tune your tone.

Is there a specific tone you're looking for, or are you just trying to come up w/ something for this particular song?

did you high pass the guitars at like 350hz or something? and leave out the bass?? haha. you need some more 100-120hz going on in the guitar tone, and a bass guitar. add some 200-250hz on the snare. take a little bit of the click away on the kick, and add a bit more low end in 60-80hz.

try this and see what happens.

yeah there's no bass on this track yet, ive wanted to try some impulses for the guitars to get some better tone.

can anyone make suggestions to some good RTAS plugins to handle impulses

yeah my high pass on the guitars are definitely too extreme, but there's no way i would use that amp sound/setting in a final mix down. Amplitube 3 in economy mode using its own cab is pretty unflattering. I've been playing around with loading some impulses into alitverb, and i think i may do that if im going to re-amp this track and attempt a more cohesive mix.

You could send the guitar tracks to me and I'll reamp them with my 6505 and JSX and you pick which one sounds best. Free of charge, because I'm bored.