Tell me about Gojira

They definitely remind me of Meshugga, but also of Strapping Young Lad, and even Soulfly. Despite these influences, they've somehow managed to carve out a unique space in metal that you have to hear to know what I mean. What you get are emotional vocals and mystical lyrics about our dying planet with some pretty intense and unorthodox drumming and riffing (and no solos but a ton of pinch harmonics). The songwriting is strong for the most part with some interesting and memorable choices of melodies, but some songs go on too long and are a bit underwritten (i.e. repetitive and sometimes simple). If they can fix those issues, they have potential to put out some really good stuff.

batmura said:
I've heard a lot of praise about this band where people compared them to bands like Meshuggah, Isis, Neurosis and Cult of Luna.

Has anyone heard them and especially their last album? Any comments would be appreciated.

Here's their MySpace: http://myspace.com/gojira

Cheers!
I would compare them more to Darkane, number 1 they have singing vocals and some questionable guitar riffs/melodies, and I think I can hear keyboards, definitely not meshuggah-ish although it is on the heavy side. You can probably find album reviews etc. on google.

Havent heard "From Mars to Sirius" yet but I do like "Terra Incognita" better thank "The Link"

a fun and non-demanding band, easy to get into, minimalist in approach. I like em, but am not crazy about them

What can I say about Gojira ?
Well, the easiest reply would be to tell you to go on their website and listen to a couple of samples...
I've been supporting them for something like 3 years now
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145433&highlight=gojira
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165531&highlight=gojira
and I'm quite sure they're gonna be on the next big metal things...they just need to catch the good opening act or something of a well established band and that would be it, I think...
A mate of mine, to who I made kinda discovered Gojira, recently told me that "everything which has been made in Metal since Black Sabbath had as only goal to allow Gojira to be created"...:headbang:
Their newest album, From Mars To Sirirus, is for sure one of the best of the 2005 past year and I think that the buzz around the band now is just completely deserved...They're gonna play some European festivals this summer and I promise you that you're gonna hear of them from people who are gonna heard of them and discover them on stage at that time...

batmura said:
That's all there is to say? More thoughts please.

lol...erm Lacuna Coils sexy frontwoman Christina Scabbia has the bands name tattooed on her chest...fo real!

ok band, but i don't seem to find myself playing 'from mars to sirius' that often. they blend in a couple different influences, and i like it the best when they sound more like isis (and at those times, they sound a little too similar to isis, the way cult of luna does). but then i would rather put oceanic or panopticon on and listen to that instead.