Tempo markers/maps in Reaper are annoying as fuck to handle

DaveBlack said:
damn, i know it's gonna be hard for me to elaborate on this since it was a while ago but when I had this problem, i was able to circumvent by editing the tempo map backwards, starting from the end of the song.

Ahh it sucks, i wish I could remember the reasoning behind this or why I did it but it worked. Hopefully, itll spark someone ingenuity.

That sounds like it might work... If you want to edit the very last tempo marker of your project. I'll give it a try though. When I'm on my pc later I'll give some exact examples of what's going on to see if anyone else is having it and if we could find a solution. I normally go first to the reaper forums for this kind of problem, but this was more of a "accompany me in my misery" kind of thread :lol:

DanLights, I tried out the MIDI stuff and have it figured out...

For MIDI to react correctly to tempo changes, the timebase has to be set to Beats (Position, Length Rate). But if you don't want your audio items to move at ALL, then the timebase needs to be Time, or if you want them to move their start positions so they stay locked to certain bar lines instead of locked to certain minutes/seconds times in the project, it needs to be Beats (Position Only).

Timebases in Reaper can be set globally for the project, as well as independently for each track and even for each item.

So I would recommend right clicking any tracks you are using for MIDI and setting their timebase to Beats (position, length, rate) explicitly so that they are always in that timebase regardless of the project timebase, and then leave all other tracks timebase as "project default" and manipulate the global timebase as necessary for your needs.

This is exactly the same as setting a track to be ticks or samples in Pro Tools, or musical or time or whatever it's called in Cubase.

MIDI tracks are always meant to be locked to bar/beats positions, not time positions, and audio can be either or depending on what your doing, so you have to set it up that way.

I tried this and I could change, delete, add and move tempo markers with my MIDI tracks behaving exactly as expected.

For MIDI to react correctly to tempo changes, the timebase has to be set to Beats (Position, Length Rate). But if you don't want your audio items to move at ALL, then the timebase needs to be Time, or if you want them to move their start positions so they stay locked to certain bar lines instead of locked to certain minutes/seconds times in the project, it needs to be Beats (Position Only).

Timebases in Reaper can be set globally for the project, as well as independently for each track and even for each item.

So I would recommend right clicking any tracks you are using for MIDI and setting their timebase to Beats (position, length, rate) explicitly so that they are always in that timebase regardless of the project timebase, and then leave all other tracks timebase as "project default" and manipulate the global timebase as necessary for your needs.

This is exactly the same as setting a track to be ticks or samples in Pro Tools, or musical or time or whatever it's called in Cubase.

MIDI tracks are always meant to be locked to bar/beats positions, not time positions, and audio can be either or depending on what your doing, so you have to set it up that way.

I tried this and I could change, delete, add and move tempo markers with my MIDI tracks behaving exactly as expected.

Dude. :worship:

You have once again enhanced my life. You´re awesome :worship:notworthy:worship:

Now all this forum needs is a "like" button!

I wish there was a timebase indicator button on the TCP panels so you could see what timebase each track was set to, would be handy for stuff like this. I code global timebase buttons myself so on my toolbar I always have a visual readout of what my project timebase is and I can change it with one click instead of opening the preferences, but a permanent readout per track would be helpful.

I wish there was a timebase indicator button on the TCP panels so you could see what timebase each track was set to, would be handy for stuff like this. I code global timebase buttons myself so on my toolbar I always have a visual readout of what my project timebase is and I can change it with one click instead of opening the preferences, but a permanent readout per track would be helpful.

Yeah I see where you're going. Well, if you make a feature request (or already have) in the reaper forums, post it here so we can all go vote for it.

now that we're on this subject, does anybody (not looking at Adam of course :) ) know if there's any way to treat several tempo markers in a group? as in shift them all equally, delete them altogether, etc? Like when I have a project with several songs in the same project, and I just want to shift one song a few bars away from the previous song, it's a PITA cause then I have to carefully move all Time sig markers and remember exactly where they were. Yeah I know some songs I've worked with probably have way more tempo changes than they should, but with Brutal Death metal most of the time it sounds good IMO

For the specific example of wanting to shift one song a little further in the timeline, just make a time selection after the previous song, right click the ruler and select "Insert empty space in selection" or whatever it is. It'll shift everything (including all tempo markers) after it by that amount.

As far as selecting multiple markers to move or delete for other reasons though, not currently possible. Would be cool if you could do an area selection in the marker lanes like in Pro Tools to just highlight the markers and delete them.

Not to steal the thread, but I have a question - Adam, would you recommend that Groove video about Reaper to someone who wants to get to know Reaper inside and out, or that video is not that deep? Currently, I am using Reaper only for drum editing and audio-to-midi conversion (both thanks to your guides).

Cheers

or am I doing it all wrong? It seems a daring task to shift a marker a couple bars cause all the midi in the project seem to fuck up and shift in a strange way, and so do normal audio tracks. Moving a set of markers together is even worse (or impossible?), same as trying to erase a group (or all) time signature markers in a project.

I'm sitting here editing drums and preparing the session to record an album tomorrow morning, hating the universe

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I was having a similar problem just a few minutes ago. I had laid out the first few measures of time sig markers in preparation for an upcoming session, and was trying like hell to select/copy/paste them throughout the project without having to manually insert each one. The solution I found for moving groups of time signature markers was this: Click+drag to select the markers, Shift+R to create a region, then Ctrl+click and drag to copy the regions as needed. Hope this helps someone out there.

graxis said:
Sorry to necro an old thread, but I was having a similar problem just a few minutes ago. I had laid out the first few measures of time sig markers in preparation for an upcoming session, and was trying like hell to select/copy/paste them throughout the project without having to manually insert each one. The solution I found for moving groups of time signature markers was this: Click+drag to select the markers, Shift+R to create a region, then Ctrl+click and drag to copy the regions as needed. Hope this helps someone out there.

Hey dude, it's great that you posted this here instead of making a new thread on the same issue, and you obviously used the search function so 100 internets to you sir!

I think what you're trying to say is to make a region out of a part/group of time sig markers that you want to move together, and move it around as a region? If so, yes, that solution was mentioned to me in another thread, I'm sure many people people will find it useful in this thread as well.

Yes, I recall someone bringing up the "Create Region" before to help this issue, and I remember trying it and being like "OMFG this is wonderful!!!".

I tab out all my songs so if I change the structure, I just export to midi and import the new file...