06/17/07 TBA Madison/Milwaukee/Dubuque
06/18/07 TBA Minneapolis MN
06/19/07 TBA Iowa
06/20/07 TBA Omaha NE
06/21/07 TBA Lawrence/KC
06/22/07 TBA Denver CO
06/23/07 TBA Salt Lake City UT

I sure as hell like the last one.

I have no idea why they'd even think about coming to Iowa...

There is probably no more than 4 people who like Slough Feg here, my buddies and I are 3 of them.

Theres no more than 1 person in Utah who likes slough feg, and that person is me.

I'm just hoping they don't realize this till after the show.

I agree. I have always maintained that Slough Feg are great to have on a bill for 30 minutes or so, in front of a large audience - as was proven at HC in spades - but to headline....no way. They're just not that sort of band.

And this is nothing against Slough Feg. I mean, even a band like Jag Panzer, who have a much larger following, shouldn't headline IMO.

I imagine the Cruz del Sur fest will work because it's part of the Alehorn Fest and nearly all fans showing up will like all the bands, so you'll get a big audience. In fact, it's probably Novembers Doom that will be the oddball.

So does the anti-Slough-Feg-headlining sentiment have more to do with the crowds they draw or the band's performance in and of itself? Inquiring minds want to know...

So does the anti-Slough-Feg-headlining sentiment have more to do with the crowds they draw or the band's performance in and of itself? Inquiring minds want to know...
I suspect a bit of both. The size of the crowd (more of a friendly gathering, than a crowd) they draw doesn't warrant them being a headliner. However, I'm guessing JK also believes they lack the diversity and power to engage an audience for 90 minutes.

Zod

I, for one, wish they had played more at HC2 (yes, even with the encore making their set hit about 50 minutes). I was really getting into it.

They don't draw a crowd by themselves, that's the problem. (Well, at least not in NYC but that would be a pretty good benchmark IMO). So if they're playing for 90 minutes to an empty venue, it lacks excitement.

Then they played HC, lots and lots of people, lots of drinking and singing along, lots of excitement, and most importantly, an absolutely STORMING performance (they didn't miss a note).

A band needs an audience like that to get the adrenaline flowing, and in return, the audience gets a great show. Makes perfect sense, but this is the risk you take when going to see an underground band play (outside of their local tour circuit).

By the way, Hammers and Slough Feg playing in San Fran this month will be BLINDING. Their home crowd in that venue? Un-fucking-real.

I agree. I have always maintained that Slough Feg are great to have on a bill for 30 minutes or so, in front of a large audience - as was proven at HC in spades - but to headline....no way. They're just not that sort of band.

Eh? I saw them headline in Chicago a couple years ago, and they did just fine.

You guys must have a different vision of "headline" or something. Yeah, it wouldn't be good for them to lead a bill with Dimmu Borgir and Children of Bodom at the House of Blues (A Bud Light Concert Event!), but a DIY small dirty club tour is perfect for them.

They've got an extremely charismatic frontman, excellent players, and songs that can attract a wide spectrum of music fans...if that's not the "sort of band" that can have their own show, I don't know what is.

The Chicago date is the Alehorn of Power "Festival" II, which is at the Double Door, the same small club they played at here in 2005, as well as at last year's AoP (I didn't make it to that one), so it makes perfect sense for them to be headlining there.

Sure, they probably won't draw as many people in Utah, but who would?

Neil

They don't draw a crowd by themselves, that's the problem. (Well, at least not in NYC but that would be a pretty good benchmark IMO). So if they're playing for 90 minutes to an empty venue, it lacks excitement.

I assume this is why they go over better in Europe: a lot more people go for this kind of music over there. Frankly, I think I was born on the wrong continent.

No fookin wonder they never play Toronto. 4 million people and probably only three of them would show up for the show.

By the way, Hammers and Slough Feg playing in San Fran this month will be BLINDING. Their home crowd in that venue? Un-fucking-real.

Yeah, what I wouldn't give for an extra thousand dollars right about now.

Eh? I saw them headline in Chicago a couple years ago, and they did just fine.

You guys must have a different vision of "headline" or something....

They've got an extremely charismatic frontman, excellent players, and songs that can attract a wide spectrum of music fans...if that's not the "sort of band" that can have their own show, I don't know what is.

Four of us from this board (myself, JayKeeley, General Zod & Lurch70) attended their headlining show in Brooklyn about a year ago. It was awful to say the least - low energy, uninspired performance and wholly unmemorable. All of us were in 100% agreement, including JK who is the biggest Slough Feg fan on the board. Based on that experience, I fully expected the HC II show to be more of the same. I was pretty much ecstatic to find it to be the complete 180 opposite.

In reviewing your further comments, it does appear that the isolated Brooklyn performance was just that. I'll still reserve complete judgement until I see them play a full headlining set in the future, but my opinion certainly changed dramatically based on HC II.

Jason

All of us were in 100% agreement

Ah, the dreaded Mutually-Reinforcing Groupthink Syndrome! It's an inevitable outcome of any concert experience: friends tend to converge on the same opinion, because, hey, it's no fun to be contrary.

And if the crowd is small, even an isolated outbreak of MRGS can trigger a more deadly feeback-loop between the band and the audience: the low energy coming from the audience causes the band to emit less energy, which in turn brings even lower energy from the audience, and so on....

So yeah, it's really your fault that they sucked so bad that night. :D

Neil